X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spirit View Post
    Hi, did you use tiling ?

R600_TILING=1
    This ennvar doesn't do anything anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
      Hi, did you use tiling ?

R600_TILING=1
      For 2D tiling you need the kernel patches and drm, xf86-ati and mesa from git.

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
        But another problem arose. Running dual head, completely distorts the desktop with xf86-video-ati-git.
        Update your libdrm with one from git and test again, if there is still an issue please open a bug

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          For 2D tiling you need the kernel patches and drm, xf86-ati and mesa from git.
          That's not entirely true, for mesa 8.1 you need new libdrm it's a requirement. If you have and old drm/ddx you will still get 1d tiling by default which was not the case previously. If you have proper kernel you will get 2D tiling for texture and then if you have ddx and enable option you will get 2D tiling for front buffer and zbuffer.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the explanation

Comment

Hmm, I bet these results are just for enabling 1D tiling then

Originally posted by glisse View Post
              That's not entirely true, for mesa 8.1 you need new libdrm it's a requirement. If you have and old drm/ddx you will still get 1d tiling by default which was not the case previously. If you have proper kernel you will get 2D tiling for texture and then if you have ddx and enable option you will get 2D tiling for front buffer and zbuffer.
              Michael doesn't say anything about patching the kernel, and it's listed as a 3.3.0-999 generic version which i assume is the default from Ubuntu.

Now I'm curious how much further 2D tiling would do, assuming it isn't on. + PCIE2. Seems like there's a lot of different options for the radeon drivers that provide large performance boosts but are turned off by default. Hopefully that starts to change.

Comment

Depends on the app, 20-30% perhaps.

That's not bad, except that a lot of games should be many many times faster than that, at least compared to the blob.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Michael doesn't say anything about patching the kernel, and it's listed as a 3.3.0-999 generic version which i assume is the default from Ubuntu.

Now I'm curious how much further 2D tiling would do, assuming it isn't on. + PCIE2. Seems like there's a lot of different options for the radeon drivers that provide large performance boosts but are turned off by default. Hopefully that starts to change.
                  Pretty sure he is using 2d tiling at least for texture. I can't think of anything else that would explain perf increase.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    Why? Skyrim renders extremely well on Open Source radeon. The frame rate seems not to be jumpy, but it is still very low. But on low settings it actually is starting to get playable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDAd_oFzgU
                    There's a new video with 800x600 instead of 1600x900: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_TDriMsCZk

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                      You don't want an E series APU as a gaming laptop, get an A series for that. I have an E-450 laptop (MSI Wind U270) but I didn't test any games under Linux, kwin compositing is all I want from it and it works great with the radeon driver.
                      However, I did try WoW starter edition under Windows, and it was barely playable, 30 FPS with lowest quality settings. I believe you could expect similar frame-rate with HoN under Linux with the proprietary drivers, but with mesa it would most likely be completely unplayable.
                      If you want I can give it a try when I get home tonight and give you the exact numbers.
                      That would be nice!

At the moment I play this game on a Pentium SU4100 and its quite ok on lowest settings(on Windows, I will try it with Ubuntu 12.04 again).
                      So I am wondering, if this would run better on a E-450(on Linux obv). I think it should do so. The gpu should be way better then a Intel GMA.
                      If not, I will wait til Trinity.

Comment

Working...
                      X