Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Quality Comparison: Nouveau Gallium3D vs. NVIDIA

Phoronix: Image Quality Comparison: Nouveau Gallium3D vs. NVIDIA

Last week I posted an image quality comparison of the Radeon Gallium3D driver versus AMD's Catalyst Linux driver to highlight some visual differences between the open and closed-source Radeon graphics drivers. Now here's a look between the Nouveau Gallium3D driver and NVIDIA's proprietary Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nouveau looks better, not by much but it is noticeable none the less.

Comment

Question: when you do stuff like this, could you provide us with
      1) both images in full resolution and not composed together into one image
      2) a diff of both images that highlights the difference in hue/saturation/brightness?
      because like this at least I cannot give an objective comparison of these or say if they are even different at all, except when it comes to harsh stuff like img 1 misses an explosion ... but eg. if texture 328 is a little more smushed on pic a than pic b I could not pin down.

Comment

Hey Michael, while I did read you'll soon put better images, as of now I must say current images are pure bullshit! The resolution is so small that no one here should even dare to do a comparison because it would be totally pointless. I'm not sure what's the purpose of this article since the images are totally quality crap it's impossible to do a compare. Maybe generate some hype?

Comment

Originally posted by acrazyplayer View Post
          Nouveau looks better, not by much but it is noticeable none the less.
          Really? Both seem pretty much the same thing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            Hey Michael, while I did read you'll soon put better images, as of now I must say current images are pure bullshit! The resolution is so small that no one here should even dare to do a comparison because it would be totally pointless. I'm not sure what's the purpose of this article since the images are totally quality crap it's impossible to do a compare. Maybe generate some hype?
            In the article it says that there are full quality, fullsize images available. Don't be an asshat.

Comment

There's some rough edges around things in Nouveau, mainly affecting the gun in the first two images and the black "border" at the left of the Explosion. Perhaps a shader problem?

Comment

What exactly looks better with Nouveau? It's not the easiest to point out, but just doing a quick glance at the pictures my eyes are more drawn to the the upper ones (Nouveau) due to differences in what appears to be contrast. The detail also "seems" to be more detailed but this could be down to the contrast once again. The barrels on the gun in pic 1 look much better on Nouveau simply because of the extra darkness.

The problems are as others state with the small jpgs to go from to tell anything more than that.

Also my monitor is not the best for viewing colors which doens't help much

Comment

MS

Maybe you can find an application that uses EXT_framebuffer_multisample (but not multisample visuals or texture_multisample since mesa doesn't support those yet) and compare image quality with multisampling (nouveau does support it :-), too. Have had it working in WebGL and with wine.

Comment

the nouveau is more pixelish... is AA enabled on the Nvidia blob?

but what bothers me more: NVIDIA does the same "mistake" for bloom position as the OSS drivers do... only Catalyst is "right".
                    Last edited by jakubo; 21 February 2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X