Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a new GPU soon. How's the 7700 series on Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Newfie View Post
    Hopefully in ~2 years the open source Radeon driver will be nearer to my needs.
    For Intel opensource, they need to release more powerful hardware. Can happen instantly, depends just on them.

For AMD opensource, based upon your experiences (I have switched back to nvidia as well), I think they need at least 4 years. Remember RadeonSI support fiasco?

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      For AMD opensource, based upon your experiences (I have switched back to nvidia as well), I think they need at least 4 years. Remember RadeonSI support fiasco?
      I'm still trying to find out about this "fiasco" myself. So far the work seems to be going pretty much as planned. Remember it's the *next* GPU core generation where we were expecting launch time support.
      Test signature

Comment

• I wanted to ask if anyone has tried both (Nvidia and AMD) recently with VMware 3d acceleration for windows.
        Currently I have a 460gtx, and I found out that VMware virtualization is much faster than wine even with 3d games (I know they are 2 different things, but still is more convenient for me
        play windows games inside a vm than with Wine, apparently).
        I'm not and I won't use compositor windows manager or desktop effects, only plain metacity. So I think that most of the issues people have with frglx wouldn't interest me in case I buy an AMD card.
        As also I'm not interested in using wine anymore (which is said to perform much better with nvidia drivers).

With native games frglx seems to performs as good , if not better than nvidia drivers (comparing cards with similar performance on windows) , by looking at the benchmarks on phoronix.
        So I'm wondering how an amd card would perform with a linux host and a windows 7 guest using vmware vitualization (workstation/vmplayer).
        I know the vga is actually emulated, but in order to achieve such impressive performance surely the vga must be used somehow.
        Any idea about it?

Comment

• With nVidia Life is Good

Originally posted by Newfie View Post
          I should probably update this, even if it wasn't the original plan.

I decided to get an NVIDIA card and ignore AMD completely for now.
          That is how I've been operating. If I hear a lot of wonderful things about AMD from credible sources I may have to reevaluate my present stance. But as things are now nVidia just works better than AMD on Linux for me. Well, I had that annoying blue shift problem with YouTube, but I applied the patch and I even have that working with my nVidia accelerated now. These are the instructions I followed to do that:

I tried some other stuff with no success.

With TwinView I can play games across both of my screens, and even watch movies dual screen too.

Pseudo command:
          mplayer -vo sdl -fs -rootwin SomeMovieFile.mkv

I only have a GT520 but I'm thrilled!

Comment

Working...
          X