Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
    Are you trolling?
    It was a little tongue-in-cheek. You could also upgrade to Gnome 2 or Unity. Not Gnome Shell, because fglrx doesn't support that either.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      How about a better idea. Inform AMD of the plans then rip out OGL1 when they have the driver ready.
      Isn't that what this blog post is doing? As far as getting AMD to support it, well, I'm not sure there's any sign AMD cares about working in KWin. Let's hope they do.

I can imagine these proposals may also distrupt Wine and hardware gfx?
      How in the world would this affect Wine? It wouldn't. Just like you could run Wine and other 3D apps with older KDE/Gnome releases before 3D desktops came about, this affects nothing except the window manager.

Comment

How about a better idea. Inform AMD of the plans then rip out OGL1 when they have the driver ready.
        Here's an idea: this is the notification, and AMD can avert disaster by making sure that "when they have the driver ready" is before the next major Kwin release.

Comment

Isn't this the notification?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            IHow in the world would this affect Wine? It wouldn't. Just like you could run Wine and other 3D apps with older KDE/Gnome releases before 3D desktops came about, this affects nothing except the window manager.
            I put '?' at the end of ther sentence.

KDE still needs to interact with gfx like mode changes.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
              Isn't this the notification?
              How will AMD see this thread or post article, if they happen to not visit here. Someone needs to act as boss and instruct/request AMD on objectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                not really i do the same! KDE works well with the radeon driver.
                I can confirm this.

Code:
                $ lspci -nn
                02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] [1002:68e0]

$ lshw -short
                /0/1                     processor      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 460  @ 2.53GHz
                /0/100/1/0               display        Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]

$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR
                OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0-rc2
                OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

$ uname -a
                Linux enceladus 3.2.0-17-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 17 21:35:49 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ modinfo radeon
                filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
                license:        GPL and additional rights
                description:    ATI Radeon
                author:         Gareth Hughes, Keith Whitwell, others.
                depends:        drm,drm_kms_helper,ttm,i2c-algo-bit
                intree:         Y
                vermagic:       3.2.0-17-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
                Works like an absolute charm with KDE. Every possible bling effect in kwin one could possibly want. Extremely snappy and responsive.
                Last edited by hal2k1; 21 February 2012, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
                  Well, that's an obnoxious pain in the ass. My Laptop has the videocard thats in it and thats it, I'd hate to lose my nice desktop effects and the functionality they bring while they think that AMD cares enough to upgrade anything. Like AMD cares about the KDE desktop users... I'm pretty sure that they don't give a spit.
                  Huh?

KDE users (such as me) with a laptop with AMD/ATI graphics hardware can run the open source Radeon driver.

After all, it works like an absolute charm with KDE and kwin.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
                    Works like an absolute charm with KDE. Every possible bling effect in kwin one could possibly want. Extremely snappy and responsive.
                    The Radeon driver is also extremely slow when compared to fglrx in Wine games.

Why buy an expensive GFX card if the driver will only going to do 3d mode for KWin at acceptable levels.

Comment

The Radeon driver is also extremely slow when compared to fglrx in Wine games.

Why buy an expensive GFX card if the driver will only going to do 3d mode for KWin at acceptable levels.

60+ fps

(one only gets a few fps with Intel graphics)

I personally don't run Wine or games, since I use my coputer for computing. This laptop with Radeon Mobility graphics was the same price as one with Intel graphics, but the AMD/ATI graphics hardware is of course far superior.

The Radeon driver is not slow at all.

If Wine has a problem with the open source Radeon driver, then it is high time Wine fixed this. If they can't figure out how, perhaps the Wine project should simply adopt the Gallium3D state tracker for Direct3D.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                      Last edited by hal2k1; 21 February 2012, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X