No announcement yet.

Northern Islands HDMI audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, i have patched kernel with copy and paste.
    Now i compiling kernel 3.5.0-rc2
    Thanks

Comment

Works!!!!!!!!!!
      Radeon 6450 audio hdmi out
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
        Can you let me know, what specs are you referring to, please?
        Not entirely sure what specs Bridgman is referring to but the HDMI 1.3a spec can be downloaded from bottom link here. It refers again to CEA-861-D which unfortunately does not look to be free but if I link to google the first link may be useful . That should be all the specs needed for multi-channel audio for both LPCM and Bitstreaming, if you can manipulate the audio packets directly. I don't know how abstracted away that is by the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
          dhewg: great, waiting to hear from you about the results. Christian reported his Cayman still doesn't work with that patch So there is still some issue to be resolved. But maybe it'll be working for you, just like it works for me.
          Works just fine Added my Tested-by.

Comment

It's frustrating how difficult this seems to be for ATI/AMD. Sometimes I think we would be better off with a reverse engineered driver where the developers hack what they can and don't have to wait years for some legal review at AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
              It's frustrating how difficult this seems to be for ATI/AMD. Sometimes I think we would be better off with a reverse engineered driver where the developers hack what they can and don't have to wait years for some legal review at AMD.
              Not sure I understand. The info has already been released AFAIK, it's "just" a question of getting that information integrated into the driver.

I say "just" not to trivialize it, but to distinguish that effort from IP review and release.

If you're talking about the audio driver (not our area but maybe we can help) the spec I was talking about was Intel HD Audio aka Azalia. I was told there was an update to the public spec in 2010 which added multichannel support but I haven't had a chance to look at the actual docs yet.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                If you're talking about the audio driver (not our area but maybe we can help) the spec I was talking about was Intel HD Audio aka Azalia. I was told there was an update to the public spec in 2010 which added multichannel support but I haven't had a chance to look at the actual docs yet.
                Then you must mean:

(updated June 17, 2010).

Comment

Yeah, but I was told it was a v2 update (instead of 1.0a), and when I looked in the change log for the doc most of the entries were pretty cryptic. I haven't had time to sit down and diff the two docs to see what was actually added.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Not sure I understand. The info has already been released AFAIK, it's "just" a question of getting that information integrated into the driver.

I say "just" not to trivialize it, but to distinguish that effort from IP review and release.

Just generalized frustration. I was stupid enough to again buy an ATI GPU and progress is so painfully slow. In fact, when the ATI drivers was ok, the nouveau driver wasn't even there. Now, I am told the Nouveau driver is better than the ATI driver even though it's reverse engineered and the ATI one is supported by the manufacturer.

This evergreen / NI HDMI audio debacle is just an example of how long it takes to integrate a basic feature.

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
                      Just generalized frustration. I was stupid enough to again buy an ATI GPU and progress is so painfully slow. In fact, when the ATI drivers was ok, the nouveau driver wasn't even there. Now, I am told the Nouveau driver is better than the ATI driver even though it's reverse engineered and the ATI one is supported by the manufacturer.

This evergreen / NI HDMI audio debacle is just an example of how long it takes to integrate a basic feature.
                      AMD was "always" quite clear about features they're working on. We knew since years to not expect official HDMI audio or UVD support. On the other hand noone is making any problems to include support for such things coming from independent developers and RE.
                      That's quite perfect for me. They do great job around basics and RE guys can focus on few specific things only. If we had to RE everything, radeon wouldn't be in it's current state for few next years.

Comment

Working...
                      X