VLC 2.0 Twoflower Media Player Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susikala View Post
    I said I find it curious how vlc ups to 2 just (or relatively short) after mplayer2 is released. For me, this is about publicity more than quality. And quality isn't measured in version numbering, sorry.
    Ehh, I kind of doubt it. I'd say VLC is FAR more well-known than mplayer and obviously even more so than the mplayer2 fork so why would they need any 'thunder' from mplayer2? I'm running Linux 24/7 (with a little Haiku now and then) and I had no idea mplayer2 had a new release.

Comment

Regardless of the number of changes, I said I find it curious how vlc ups to 2 just (or relatively short) after mplayer2 is released. For me, this is about publicity more than quality.
      WTF are you going on about? mplayer2 2.0 was released almost a year ago, and VLC has had version 2.0 planned for months. Furthermore, no one gives a fsck about what video player you use based on your version conspiracy theory.

Comment

I find the version numbering in VLC to be fairly ok, I followed this project for many years now and it was really ok. The first big number was with the introduction of Qt and now after this time I think it is ok with 2.0 since there are a lot of new features and hopefully fixes.
        I'm glad to see this all-systems nearly-all-codecs project still going on and evolving.

I will sync Gentoo soon to pull this one in and see how it works. I am happy that Gentoo leaves it to the users to decide to use potentially problematic things like libdvdcss and stuff or not. I was really surprised when I installed openSuSE 12.1 on some people's laptops recently that vlc was not in their official tree.

I just hope that VLC will get this stupid BluRay stuff hacked/cracked soon so I don't have to mess around on windows with certain programs to rip my legally bought BluRays and waste 50GB HDD space just to be able to see it. (Of course it would be better if content mafia left out all that play protection once and forever.)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          I just hope that VLC will get this stupid BluRay stuff hacked/cracked soon so I don't have to mess around on windows with certain programs to rip my legally bought BluRays and waste 50GB HDD space just to be able to see it.
          AFAIK (I don't have a Bluray drive) lxbdplayer together with the lxbdaacs plugin plays encrypted Blurays just fine straight from the disc. Also if you still want to rip them to harddrive then you could (again AFAIK) use dumphd, so there should be no need to 'mess around on windows' unless you want to.

Comment

1. mplayer2 is very well a fork of mplayer. It's possible you left your reading comprehension at home?
            2. Regardless of the number of changes, I said I find it curious how vlc ups to 2 just (or relatively short) after mplayer2 is released. For me, this is about publicity more than quality. And quality isn't measured in version numbering, sorry.
            And of course i meant that vlc 2.0 is not a fork...
            Last edited by Raven3x7; 20 February 2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I just wish that they would spruce up the UI a bit. Just redoing the volume slider (by turning it into a line; instead of the triangle) would help A LOT! Also, I wouldn't mind if VLC would use the Free Desktop Specification for icons when using Linux.

Comment

Ubuntu lovers can directly download vlc 2.0 from software center in Ubuntu 12.04 but for 11.10 you need to add PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  AFAIK (I don't have a Bluray drive) lxbdplayer together with the lxbdaacs plugin plays encrypted Blurays just fine straight from the disc. Also if you still want to rip them to harddrive then you could (again AFAIK) use dumphd, so there should be no need to 'mess around on windows' unless you want to.
                  This lxBDPlayer is just some bundled package consiting of DumpHD, mplayer and makemkv (makemkv for the actual AACS and BD+ decryption). It's all tied together with some Java code.

My preferred method currently is to use makemkv (in info mode) in combination with dumpVID and aacskeys to get DiscID and VUK of the disc. Paste this information into the KEYDB.cfg and then use mplayer2 (with libbluray support compiled in) for playback. Keep in mind that the DiscID/VUK/KEYDB.cfg steps are a one-time action for a disc.
                  In case this doesn't work I use makemkv in streaming mode + mplayer2.

Comment

Working...
                  X