Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Will Try For Intel RC6 By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Will Try For Intel RC6 By Default

It seems that the Ubuntu Kernel Team is indeed taking power management serious for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The kernel team announced this weekend that they will be attempting to enable Intel RC6 power-savings by default within the Precise Pangolin kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I put a 3.2.0-17 kernel in the kanotix repo yesterday (with added aufs3 + ndiswrapper). not that many snb users tried it, one needed the i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 override - not sure if a bios update could fix that or not (not everybody likes bios updates). Will be really interesting when more ppl try that - my guess is that it will be reverted.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I put a 3.2.0-17 kernel in the kanotix repo yesterday (with added aufs3 + ndiswrapper). not that many snb users tried it, one needed the i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 override - not sure if a bios update could fix that or not (not everybody likes bios updates). Will be really interesting when more ppl try that - my guess is that it will be reverted.
      But Ubuntu is backporting the changes made in 3.4 about rc6 to 3.2, so your users will not see that much improvement, I guess.

Comment

What logic is that when i use the same code (with just 2 additional modules)? Btw. the rc6 changes you can simply see there:

it does not include the newer patch you can see here:

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          It seems that the Ubuntu Kernel Team is indeed taking power management serious for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
          seriously

10char

Comment

Btw. bios updates can fix issues with intel rc6. Asrock Z68 Pro3-M with 1.00 did not work correct, 1.60 fixed that. but a bit time consuming to to do a "guided" bios update...

Comment

RC6 is quite good since it allows bringing down the graphics core to consuming 0V when allowed and it's also capable of boosting the system's graphics performance, as Phoronix tests have shown.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1OTI
              0V? That doesn't make engineering sense. I think you meant 0W.

Comment

RC6 call for testing

It seems that the Ubuntu Kernel Team is indeed taking power management serious for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The kernel team announced this weekend that they will be attempting to enable Intel RC6 power-savings by default within the Precise Pangolin kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1OTI
                We encourage users to participate in the RC6 call for testing. This way we can identify any i915 RC6 related issues and try to get these resolved.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X