Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARM On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Battling Intel x86?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clavko View Post
    People will like the 'upgradeability'.
    And x86 legacy code support is not something you can ignore.
    It's handy, but Metro for ARM isn't compatible with x86 apps, said by microsoft itself.

2 cores, less memory bandwidth, 33% less frecuency, building up support. Atom Pwned.

GPU benchmarks, please?

Comment

Originally posted by WillyThePimp View Post
      It's handy, but Metro for ARM isn't compatible with x86 apps, said by microsoft itself.
      I don't follow. That's the whole point - you can only get legacy x86 support
      with an x86 processor (unless it's a Metro HTML5/JS app). So you'll want
      to buy a medfield. And when you have your good old office on your tablet
      and quality software out of box (Microsoft does it much better than Google),
      you're sold. Android is half baked, unsecure by design, low support OS. Yes
      it might be nice for phones. Until you need to choose your own custom ringtone.
      Or divide you contacts into groups. And assign group ringtone. Or other million
      of small stupid things we've considered for granted on Win/Mac/Ux for years.

Win 8 will deliver. Not a question about it.

Comment

I don't follow. That's the whole point - you can only get legacy x86 support
        with an x86 processor (unless it's a Metro HTML5/JS app). So you'll want
        to buy a medfield. And when you have your good old office on your tablet
        and quality software out of box (Microsoft does it much better than Google),
        you're sold. Android is half baked, unsecure by design, low support OS. Yes
        it might be nice for phones. Until you need to choose your own custom ringtone.
        Or divide you contacts into groups. And assign group ringtone. Or other million
        of small stupid things we've considered for granted on Win/Mac/Ux for years.

Win 8 vs Android, I think I'd prefer android just because it has a lot more apps to it, it won't be nearly as restricted, I like the interface better (I tried Win 8 and I hate Metro, it is so terrible and has no room for fixing), and Android is incomparably more memory friendly than Win 8, so it can work on more devices. Win 8 is probably better than Android for professional situations.

Win 8 vs Linux, Win 8 is at an immense disadvantage. I believe Linux has more ARM support than Android does, and far more than Win 8. With Wine, Linux can run x86 Windows programs, meaning that Linux will be running Windows programs better than Windows can. Wine doesn't currently have ARM support, but the devs are working on it. If Windows 8 can run Windows CE programs then that would be a nice bonus.

I would honestly rather use Vista (without every service pack installed) than Windows 8. Even on a tablet, Win 8 makes interaction with the OS incredibly slow, tedious, and a little confusing.

Comment

I've seen Linaro is working on the Freescale i.MX6 Quadro development board. So we may have some ARM laptops with pretty decent performance and over 10-hour battery life by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Win 8 vs Android, I think I'd prefer android just because it has a lot more apps to it...
            Let me tell you what I think about Android. It's no linux. I can have more
            control over an OS with any NT based Win, iOS or (ofcourse) linux distro.
            Man, I feel like i need an app for every little shitty thing they 'forgot'. And
            then that shitty little app wants access to my Contacts, Mail, Chat, Calls,
            GPS location, or wants to ad-spam me. Now that's just linux done wrong.

Very, very wrong. I'm almost uncomfortable to say it but... I'd take Microsoft
            software over Google/Facebook/Twitter privacy catastrophe any day.
            Your mileage, ofcourse, may vary

Comment

Seeing that the OMAP 4460 is running at only 1.2 Ghz and is using a PowerVR SGX540 for it's GPU these results are VERY impressive. The Cortex A9 can be clocked up to 1.8 Ghz and in a quad core configuration with a more powerful GPU it will pretty much spank any Atom and I'm willing to say show respectable numbers against some lower end laptop/desktop processors. The Tegra 3 will definitely be interesting to see when it is tested. I am also looking forward to seeing what the A15 will do although in a quad core configuration. Lastly ARMv8 is coming quick and we should see a significant boost with that as well. Toss in nVidia's GeFORCE GPU, Mali T604 or T658 GPU or the upper end PowerVR SGX544mp and you have a VERY VERY potent package in a very small power sipping footprint as compared to Intel's offerings.

Comment

Let me tell you what I think about Android. It's no linux. I can have more
                control over an OS with any NT based Win, iOS or (ofcourse) linux distro.
                Man, I feel like i need an app for every little shitty thing they 'forgot'. And
                then that shitty little app wants access to my Contacts, Mail, Chat, Calls,
                GPS location, or wants to ad-spam me. Now that's just linux done wrong.

Very, very wrong. I'm almost uncomfortable to say it but... I'd take Microsoft
                software over Google/Facebook/Twitter privacy catastrophe any day.
                Your mileage, ofcourse, may vary
                Well, I can't say I disagree with that, because it is true. But in the end, I don't care if Microsoft's product might be a little more polished and I'd rather a feature be missing but available to download than be forced to have a feature I don't care about.

Perhaps android 4.x will fix these problems.

Comment

Android is half baked, unsecure by design, low support OS.
                  dunno if you are trolling or you are some of those passive payed microsoft advertisers

1.) android is upgradeable like IOS and like win8 will be(prolly but doubt it), is the manufacturer who see no benefit in upgrading since that old phone dont give them more money or the carriers.

2.)win8 will deliver, im hearing that since winmo 6 LOL

3.)i give 3 days before the first antivirus company urge you to buy the their latest protection to portect you win8 phone for the first thousand viruses and exploits.

4.) android is not insecure or half baked by default, carriers ask them to incorporate all that useless apps, customs market apps, more relaxed security settings,etc so they win some money for the useless apps and save lots of money in support. use google there are many ways to make your phone more secure or better grab the source and do the magic

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    dunno if you are trolling or you are some of those passive payed microsoft advertisers

1.) android is upgradeable like IOS
                    2.)win8 will deliver
                    3.)i give 3 days before the first antivirus company urge you to buy...
                    4.) android is not insecure or half baked by default, carriers ask them to incorporate all that useless apps
                    Android is not upgradeable. That wouldn't be in best interest of OEMs which have to
                    sell new products with new features. So Google says: 'OK, well just play innocent here',
                    however, Microsoft is the guy with extra balls that says: 'No, you'll have to sign these drivers.',
                    'No, you'll have to pass through WHQL process', 'No, your hardware will have to be better'.
                    That's quality assurance. Thats support. And people will get that with Win 8, I think.

And if Android is 'upgradeable', where is the downloadable 'usb' image installer? Because
                    I'd like to install ICS on my phone and tablet. Guess what. I can't. Not very easy, at least.

And another thing. If there were viruses (virii?) for linux/android, you think you'd know that?
                    When you 'root' it, you give your rights to an app. SuperUser.apk. And that app can silently
                    give it to anyone. Or sell it. Or not.

Comment

Android is not upgradeable. That wouldn't be in best interest of OEMs which have to
                      sell new products with new features. So Google says: 'OK, well just play innocent here',
                      however, Microsoft is the guy with extra balls that says: 'No, you'll have to sign these drivers.',
                      'No, you'll have to pass through WHQL process', 'No, your hardware will have to be better'.
                      That's quality assurance. Thats support. And people will get that with Win 8, I think.

And if Android is 'upgradeable', where is the downloadable 'usb' image installer? Because
                      I'd like to install ICS on my phone and tablet. Guess what. I can't. Not very easy, at least.

And another thing. If there were viruses (virii?) for linux/android, you think you'd know that?
                      When you 'root' it, you give your rights to an app. SuperUser.apk. And that app can silently
                      give it to anyone. Or sell it. Or not.
                      Superuser.apk does NOT silently give root permission to anyone or any app. It will prompt the first time an app requests it and will continue to prompt unless you tell it to save your selection. So um. NO. Android is very upgradeable assuming you get the right devices that have unlocked bootloaders or unlockable bootloaders. The dev community behind android not only gives us custom ROMs based on whatever flavor of Android you want but custom kernels with new modules that support additional hardware and filesystems as well as direct control over your hardware. Yeah I see that happening with Microsoft... NOT

Comment

Working...
                      X