No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst A.I. Useless Under Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst A.I. Useless Under Linux?

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst A.I. Useless Under Linux?

AMD today launched the Radeon HD 7570/7770 graphics cards as the latest GPUs built on the GCN architecture. Unfortunately there still is not any open-source support for the Radeon HD 7000 series hardware nor has AMD sent out any review samples to Phoronix. But there is some other Catalyst Linux news to share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've not seen it ever create an improvement in anything. I've only seen it cause graphical corruption in Wine when playing Civ 4. Other than that i've never seen any effect at all with it.

Comment

Aren't the 7950 and 7970 the only card built on GCN? The 77** are Southern Island design and it was built on VLIW4.

Comment

Originally posted by simcop2387 View Post
        I've not seen it ever create an improvement in anything. I've only seen it cause graphical corruption in Wine when playing Civ 4. Other than that i've never seen any effect at all with it.
        Advanced also creates major problems in Warcraft 3 in wine.

I didn't ever see noticeable improvement anyway...

Comment

AMD is hurting its reputation. I was a great supporter of the company since they were the only significant competition to Intel, but seeing how they treat Linux users (waiting for xUbuntu 12.04 LTS) I am really disapointed. They fired Linux dev team working on the drivers. nVidia was one of the first if not the first which released gfx drivers for linux systems. They were great and gave nVidia good reputation. AMD doesn't seem to care ... then I am going to buy nVidia and Intel products. AMD is not worth the money these days anyway.

Comment

what about temperatures?

Good to know.

So it doesnt help performance, that sucks..
            But, it would be interesting to see if it atleast can clock down stuff when its "advanced"..

Could you expand the test to include temperatures and maybe clocks?

- Talas

Comment

Code:
              How is this relevant to Catalyst A.I.?

Originally posted by tommo1982 View Post
              AMD is hurting its reputation.
              The Catalyst blob was generally never known for being as good as the Nvidia blob, so how is this "hurting its reputation"? Keep in mind that AMD has hired devs to work on the open-source driver because it's the way forward. Furthermore, no one here cares what graphics card you buy next based on your ignorance...

Oh, and welcome to the forums...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Code:
                How is this relevant to Catalyst A.I.?
                I think he meant, that if the graphics card rendered everything more efficently with A.I. advanced, it would produce less heat at the same fps.

Comment

AFAIK Catalyst A.I. mainly activates some shader replacements for specific games which run faster or fix bugs compared to the original shader programs delivered with the game. Therefore it is nearly useless to test 2 benchmarks and 1 game with moderate graphics quality.
                  Maybe you see some differences when it is tested against popular windows games which proivde a Linux binary such as Doom 3 or UT 2004 - but maybe they are also just too old. And as there are nearly no new Linux games with high-end graphics (only Oil Rush AFAIK), this feature is actually useless but not because of the fact that Nexius doesn't run much faster.

Comment

Try Doom3. The original id Software client.
                    Run a timedemo with Catalyst AI disabled, enabled, and after renaming the executable (doom.x86).
                    You get *much* more FPS with AI enabled and the original executable name.
                    So obviously at least part of AI are hacks that are program-specific and that are enabled by checking the executable name.

Comment

Working...
                    X