Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A First Look At The Ubuntu 12.04 Performance

Phoronix: A First Look At The Ubuntu 12.04 Performance

While there's still two months left until Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" will be officially released, here are the first benchmarks of this forthcoming long-term support release. Included are desktop and workstation benchmarks along with a look at the boot performance and power consumption. The Ubuntu 12.04 LTS releases are compared to earlier Ubuntu Linux releases going back to the 10.10 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The power consumption of Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 was awful due to the PCI Express ASPM issue on the W510 and other Linux power bugs.
    At least this one isn't Linux power bug according to you:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After writing a simple plug-in this morning, here's a list of many motherboards that have broken PCI-E Active State Power Management support from their BIOS, which can lead to greatly increased power consumption under Linux.

Comment

would be nice a benchmark of ubuntu 12.04 with: debina 6, archlinux up, cent os and other distros with many users.

Comment

The precise pangolin seems to shape up to a really solid release. The power consumption fix is great and it is looking good for arm support also. Across the board gains.

This is where unity makes or breaks. The first Unity LTS release.

I think unity at this point is mature and really good. However I prefer gnome-shell at least until precise. g-s feels more responsive, i guess because there is no compiz slowing it down. I hope compiz and kernel upgrades have fixed this slight sluggishness in unity.

I wonder how well they work with the raspberry pi.
        Last edited by varikonniemi; 13 February 2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Michael, the first huge Compiz update with lots of performance fixes should be in Ubuntu 12.04 tomorrow, and Unity 5.4.0 will have some more fixes aswell. You should redo the "Gaming/Graphics Performance On Unity, GNOME, KDE, Xfce" article for Unity/Compiz in a few weeks or so.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            the first huge Compiz update with lots of performance fixes should be in Ubuntu 12.04 tomorrow, and Unity 5.4.0 will have some more fixes aswell. You should redo the "Gaming/Graphics Performance On Unity, GNOME, KDE, Xfce" article for Unity/Compiz in a few weeks or so.
            Keep up the good work. Merci Didier :-)
            Last edited by bartek; 13 February 2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Glad to see the power consumption being addressed. May finally upgrade my laptop out of 10.10 if the numbers keep up.

Comment

Working...
              X