Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gujin Boot-Loader Was Updated

Phoronix: The Gujin Boot-Loader Was Updated

For those wanting to do some technical exploring this weekend besides thinking about the Linux beer possibilities, version 2.8.5 of the Gujin GPL boot-loader was released a few days ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No EFI no party.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It would be interesting to have a bunch of bootloaders (Legacy GRUB, GRUB2, BURG, GRUB4DOS, U-Boot, LILO, Gujin, even NTLDR etc.) chainloading one another and find the longest possible chainloading combo. Extremely pointless, but still interesting!

Comment

FAT probing...

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
          FAT probing...
          ...like in probing FAT

Wait there's no fat in here

What would be the advantage of using Gujin over GRUB?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            Over grub2, probably just the size, grub2 is huge. I'm more interested in Gujin as a replacement for syslinux on my multi-distro-live-usb-drive, for it's ability to boot from iso files, I'll probably give it a try soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              ...like in probing FAT

Wait there's no fat in here

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
              FAT probing...
              Well, I can understand that you would refuse to use a 2 Gb FAT USB key, put "memtest.bin" file on it, boot Gujin, and refuse that your bootloader display you the choice to click on that boot solution automagically.
              After all, a bootloader should be configured when Linux is running so that the installer has to guess what disks will be present and accessible at boot time, and which BIOS numbers they will be (instead of autodetecting all that configuration at boot time).
              Moreover, the bootloader configuration should forbid you to add/invert [removeable] disks by refusing to boot, with a difficult to understand error message.
              I think the real solution is to switch to EFI, so that you are not asked which kernel version to boot (when you had a boot failure), where you cannot have multiple Linux distributions on the same PC, and where you cannot put an El-Torito bootable ISO file into the /boot directory and start it with your bootloader automagically.
              It all depends what you do with your PC; Grub is a hammer and very usefull if you just have a nail...

Comment

Working...
              X