No announcement yet.

Miguel de Icaza Calls For More Mono, C# Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Miguel talk was published in his blog, in full, it seems that he showed ways how games can use GC nicely, based on heuristics so it would make it predictable. In short, what it does, it simply states that you can do GC.Collect(0); every 1-2 seconds, and you can have great performance and no scary pauses. Also, it showed a way to embed Mono runtime and explained how evolving C# language can solve hard problems (like state machines) with Async C# 5.0 features, making your program to be responsive even it does heavy lifting. It also states a thing that the title of the Phoronix article misses, is that it called at least for scripting to use C#. For me is really a great talk. The second hour is about a real game that was written just in C# and do heavy computations (like aerodynamics simulation) and it works on WinPhone and iPad using MonoTouch and that MonoTouch gave always adequate performance for his game (Infinite Flights).

Comment

• For game in java, I prefer image processing in java, interesting and stable.

Comment

• I hope he can successfully make a living out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
          As Miguel talk was published in his blog, in full, it seems that he showed ways how games can use GC nicely, based on heuristics so it would make it predictable. In short, what it does, it simply states that you can do GC.Collect(0); every 1-2 seconds, and you can have great performance and no scary pauses. Also, it showed a way to embed Mono runtime and explained how evolving C# language can solve hard problems (like state machines) with Async C# 5.0 features, making your program to be responsive even it does heavy lifting. It also states a thing that the title of the Phoronix article misses, is that it called at least for scripting to use C#. For me is really a great talk. The second hour is about a real game that was written just in C# and do heavy computations (like aerodynamics simulation) and it works on WinPhone and iPad using MonoTouch and that MonoTouch gave always adequate performance for his game (Infinite Flights).
          In short, Miguel tries to find workarounds for some of the issues he impses with C#. This is a classic game of crossing the river for water. Thank god, even Microsoft is throwing C# on the scrapyard nowadays.

Comment

Working...
          X