Getting Double Fine Production's new game(s) on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Double Fine Production's new game(s) on Linux

Hi, Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions are crowdfunding a new adventure game through Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure
    (Official post on Double Fine's site: http://www.doublefine.com/news/comme...nture_is_here/ )

What can we do to get that game on Linux as soon as possible?

(There's also talk about Psychonauts 2 being done, since Notch of Minecraft fame said he'd pay a couple million towards it, but that's much less concrete than the one above.)

At it's current pace, it will easily reach it's goal.

What I don't understand about most of these software/music/movie/etc. Kickstarter projects is that fans/prospective users ostensibly pay to get it made, but then it's usually still proprietary payware when it comes out, as though the developer had just paid for everything out of their own pocket. Some of them are clearly just using Kickstarter as a marketing platform for preorders/merchandising and not primarily funding their project with it, but this one seems like it's going for a more substantial chunk of the budget. I might still spring for this one anyway (and hope there's some non-Steam way to play it), but it still kind of bugs me that the equation seems to be:

Publisher funds = developer beholden to publisher
    Fans fund = developer beholden to themselves

Comment

Today Tim Schafer announced:
      Windows, Mac, LINUX, iOS, Andriod and DRM-free:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventureThe project is still running, become a part of it and visit the link above!Support for Wind...

Now go and back it up

Comment

Tim rules!

YAAAAY! I was going to give the same information =)

"UPDATE 2: Proud to announce we're going to be developing for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android! In addition to Steam codes, we will also be offering DRM free versions. And for all our lovely friends overseas, we'll be localizing the text in French, Italian, German, and Spanish. Thanks for the support!"

I frankly don't care if it's closed source, as long as I get a Tim Shafer game for Linux! Psychonauts works in Wine, but it's so much more awesome to have it for reaaalz.

Comment

Btw, by funding it with $15 you get the full game. I'd say that's a pretty cheap price for a new game. Plus you get rid of horrible publishers, large evil firms (EA) that controls the developers and kills creativity by subjecting games to "mainstreamifying". I really love the fact that we can bypass the old dinosaurs (even more so in the music business!) and give more to the content creators.

Comment

Just awesome! Baked and waiting the release!

Comment

Nice how Phoronix is ignoring this, but is posting info about Unigine every two days...

Comment

Originally posted by Hasenpfote View Post
                Nice how Phoronix is ignoring this, but is posting info about Unigine every two days...
                I was just thinking that. We know Michael doesn't really follow the gaming scene too closely, maybe he missed it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                  I was just thinking that. We know Michael doesn't really follow the gaming scene too closely, maybe he missed it?
                  Nope, he knew about it the minute it was announced, I personally checked it with him on twitter. I guess he just doesn't find it "interesting enough".

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    Nope, he knew about it the minute it was announced, I personally checked it with him on twitter. I guess he just doesn't find it "interesting enough".
                    A game sponsored with 2 million(!!!) by the community which WANTED and got DRM free + Linux, an event which blew up the whole gaming industry IS NOT INTERESTING ENOUGH????

Edit: Just saw he is reporting about Humble Bundle again. *ROFL*
                    Last edited by Hasenpfote; 19 February 2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X