Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 17 Is Still Trying For Btrfs By Default

Default Fedora 17 Is Still Trying For Btrfs By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 17 Is Still Trying For Btrfs By Default

The Fedora / Red Hat developers working on the Beefy Miracle are tentatively moving ahead with their plan to use Btrfs as the default Linux file-system for Fedora 17 and beyond...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1NDQ

lets see now how good the redhat developer

lands in alpha
    That means feature freeze i.e today which is not going to happen so it is moved to F18.

Quote Originally Posted by drago01 View Post
    That means feature freeze i.e today which is not going to happen so it is moved to F18.
    for what he said they have two weeks from now soo ignore the feature freeze date.

you will know in two week

Quote Originally Posted by nir2142 View Post
    for what he said they have two weeks from now soo ignore the feature freeze date.

you will know in two week
    Not true.
    Read the chat logs (note I actually was present in this meeting) ... the whole discussion was about making it in time for the feature freeze (i.e today) after that F17 gets branched off and new stuff (like switching the default filesystem) will only be allowed in rawhide (the quote in the article might suggested something else but it was taken out of context).

Btrfs by default? Pfff. Even ext4 is a lot better than btrfs for general use. Maybe someday we'll all be using SSD drives... until then btrfs just sucks.

If Fedora is just going to symlink things together, why can't they go step farther and symlink /usr to the actual folder "/system"? Why keep the "usr" in the first place? "usr" doesn't even come close to describe what the folder is actually used for? You know... because "usr" looks like "user" (but user settings is saved at "/home". Wouldn't that make things more simpler to unserstand?

Why not just get rid of the old system and have:
    /system
    ----/bin
    ----/lib
    ----/sbin
    ----you guys get the idea...
    /config (instead of /etc)
    /user (instead of /home)

I'm just wondering why some say that the traditional Unix file heirachy is outdated (even though I agree with with that statement) but still want to use the same non-descriptive terms!

Quote Originally Posted by halo9en View Post
    Btrfs by default? Pfff. Even ext4 is a lot better than btrfs for general use. Maybe someday we'll all be using SSD drives... until then btrfs just sucks.
    Yes, but btrfs needs lots of testing, which is what Fedora is about. If Fedora and its users (=people willing to be beta testers) didn't exist, Linux software in general would be much more buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by CTown View Post
    If Fedora is just going to symlink things together, why can't they go step farther and symlink /usr to the actual folder "/system"? Why keep the "usr" in the first place? "usr" doesn't even come close to describe what the folder is actually used for? You know... because "usr" looks like "user" (but user settings is saved at "/home". Wouldn't that make things more simpler to unserstand?
    Because that would violate the FHS.

Quote Originally Posted by CTown View Post
    User Shared or System Resources is what I get when I google that.

Though, that's not very intuitive to begin with, so meh.
    Last edited by Edogaa; 02-08-2012 at 04:16 AM.