Goodbye ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
    this is one of the biggest problem with the catalyst: no user side regression testing with GIT-Bisect.

because of this its hopeless to hope for an stable catalyst driver.

if the radeon driver starts to run openCL +openGL3.3 then the catalyst is obsolete for all users who wants a "stable" not "fast" driver.
    By the time openCL +openGL3.3 lands in the radeon open source driver, performance improvements such as 2D colour tiling, HiZ and others will also have landed. Given this, then the catalyst wiil become obsolete for all users who want a "stable" driver, or a "fast" driver, or both stable and fast. i.e. everybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      The very annoying lag you get with Catalyst when you enable VSync is gone completely. It seems NVidia has an implementation of desktop VSync that is actually usable.
      In my opinion it's unusable because it's doesn't give tear-free experience like Catalyst, R300g/R600g and Intel drivers (with some issues in Intel case).

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      The "radeon" open source driver also didn't suffer from this problem, but it had another one: it would drop a frame or two every second.
      Is there bugreport for that?

Xv works perfectly, both in windowed as well in fullscreen mode. It is tear-free
      In windowed mode with enabled compositing too?

PhysX yey!!
      Why you so happy about PhysX? There is just few games that really benefit from PhysX but all this games is single-player.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        In my opinion it's unusable because it's doesn't give tear-free experience like Catalyst, R300g/R600g and Intel drivers
        It's usable here and works perfectly. Catalyst didn't have proper VSync; it caused annoying lag. VSync with NVidia is smooth and lag-free.

The "radeon" open source driver also didn't suffer from this problem, but it had another one: it would drop a frame or two every second.
        Is there bugreport for that?
        Do I care if there is or isn't?

Xv works perfectly, both in windowed as well in fullscreen mode. It is tear-free
        In windowed mode with enabled compositing too?
        Yes.

Why you so happy about PhysX? There is just few games that really benefit from PhysX but all this games is single-player.
        I don't play multiplayer games. Except chess.

I like my PC much better now with the NVidia card.
        Last edited by RealNC; 07 March 2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• I've also switched to nvidia (GTX 560). Solved problems (using closed nvidia driver):
          • games under wine work,
          • accelerated video decoding without problems (more formats supported),
          • hibernation/sleep problems solved (under flgrx it usually worked),
          • vsync works,
          • KDE works without screen problems (seems like uninitialized video memory)

Before I used HD4870, this card is great but only under Windows (it is almost as powerful as my current nvidia card). Using fglrx wasn't so bad, problem was that there were many many small issues that made the overall experience quite hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by karmakoma View Post
            I've also switched to nvidia (GTX 560). Solved problems (using closed nvidia driver):
            Before I used HD4870, this card is great but only under Windows (it is almost as powerful as my current nvidia card). Using fglrx wasn't so bad, problem was that there were many many small issues that made the overall experience quite hard.

HD4870 = GTX260

GTX560 = 2x4870 (at minimum)

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              HD4870 = GTX260

GTX560 = 2x4870 (at minimum)
              No, not by that much. The 560 is usually about 60-70% faster than a 4870 and the 560 Ti is about 70-80% faster. It's very, very rare to see a 2x performance difference.

Here are benches of the 560 Ti vs the 4870. Note that they don't have benches of the plain 560 (non-Ti):

Comment

No, not by that much. The 560 is usually about 60-70% faster than a 4870 and the 560 Ti is about 70-80% faster. It's very, very rare to see a 2x performance difference.

Here are benches of the 560 Ti vs the 4870. Note that they don't have benches of the plain 560 (non-Ti):

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/304?vs=330
                This site is better. Ive picked non-Ti. 60-100% average.

4870 cannot downclock properly as well (all pre R700).

I wonder if we ever will get GPU to work as pluggable CPU cores - plug more and get equivalent boost. On best - without drivers. Would require smp-friendly software or hardware tricks.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrrlTlak View Post
                  Hi,

i can understand your frustration with the state of AMD /ATI driver support in Linux. I myself finally made the switch to Windows 7 after having been "forced to live" with this driver disaster. The open radeon driver does not function due to energy issues and since my notebook really IS a tool and not the center of my being i decided to ditch Linux since there is no fully functional desktop environment when you are a customer of ATI or AMD. The situation and this company really are sucking. The only Linux i have left now resides in my Motorola Defy+ ...

Hope you'll be glad with your all-new graphic chip ;-)
                  This tip is very free:

1. Take a Hammer
                  2. Destroy useless AMD hardware

or
                  1. Take a paper box
                  2. Send useless AMD hardware to #radeon

3. Buy chip that is supported (intel or nvidia).

NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO DO STUPID THINGS.

Also, did you notice that MS has used EXACTLY same tactics against Java? And against Firefox? And with OpenGL/Direct3d(there IS NO POINT IN directx - AT ALL).

AMD has regular sex with microsoft (as in "owned"), end of the story.
                  Last edited by crazycheese; 08 March 2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/304?vs=330
                    That's comforting, I was using some wrong metrics then (mix of Wikipedia & other site)...

Comment

It's usable here and works perfectly.
                      But tearing is still there. With both of nVidia proprietary driver and nouveau. And there is no any way to fix it with nVidia hardware. You maybe doesn't see it, that make you happy man, but that not make problem doesn't exist.
                      Do I care if there is or isn't?
                      Developers are not telepathic, sorry. How they may fix this bug if they even doesn't know about it?
                      Yes.
                      So you doesn't see it, as expected.
                      I don't play multiplayer games. Except chess.
                      And what you will gonna do with PhysX when you clear Metro 2033, Alice: Madness Returns and Batman: Arkham City?

Comment

Working...
                      X