No announcement yet.

Goodbye ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, RealNC, what are the ups and downs using Nvidia so far? Any bugs, glitches?

Comment

I can certainly understand where you are standing. Myself, I just switched to Windows instead. Fglrx is really not good at all, and even appears to be getting worse (in the last 12 months, suspend has been broken, Gnome Shell still doesn't work, Xvba has gotten worse, and now Xv has started to crash). Radeon is great if it covers your needs, but lack of video acceleration and power management hurts.

If I were buying a pure Linux laptop or desktop now, I would be getting an Intel that's for certain.

Comment

I want to switch to AMD but I won't!

I got a Nvidia card. I am not a fanboy of any company.

My Nvidia card works good under Linux. The proprietary drivers work great, and the open source drivers work alright too. I actually use the open source device drivers, as they cover my needs well.

I don't like that Nvidia does not provide open source drivers nor does it support open source driver development.
        AMD on the other hand does contribute to open source development. Hence, I really would like to switch to AMD.

But I cant.
        • Nvidia's proprietary drivers are better than AMD's.
        • Nvidia releases new drivers relatively quick for new versions of Xorg.
        • AMD is slow to release drivers for new versions of Xorg, and I've even heard Ubuntu chose to say with Xorg 1.11 instead of 1.12 because AMD is lazy and cant provide a driver for the new version.
        • Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Nvidia open source driver to be better than the open source AMD driver, despite AMD's support and Nvidia's lack of support.

Comment

They dropped support for my old card (X1600) and so I dropped the card and picked up a second hand 8800GT. No complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I got a Nvidia card. I am not a fanboy of any company.

My Nvidia card works good under Linux. The proprietary drivers work great, and the open source drivers work alright too. I actually use the open source device drivers, as they cover my needs well.

I don't like that Nvidia does not provide open source drivers nor does it support open source driver development.
            AMD on the other hand does contribute to open source development. Hence, I really would like to switch to AMD.

But I cant.
            Why? If the open source nvidia drivers cover your needs, then the open source radeon driver should cover them as well.

[*]Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Nvidia open source driver to be better than the open source AMD driver, despite AMD's support and Nvidia's lack of support.
            What makes you say that? Have you even tried the open source radeon drivers?

Comment

[*]Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Nvidia open source driver to be better than the open source AMD driver, despite AMD's support and Nvidia's lack of support.[/list]
              Check this out:

Radeon R600 Tiling Patches Are Ready

ttp://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA1MjY

The R600 2D color tiling support is designed to deliver major performance boosts when it works correctly, but the initial support published last month was rather buggy. Since then, Glisse has worked a great deal on improving the 2D color tiling support.

Announced on the mailing list yesterday was completing the R600 2D color tiling support.
              AMD/ATI cards are more powerful than Intel, and they have the best open source support.

Comment

Really? Intel has got some problems with supporting older xservers, but besides from that they offer definitely more complete drivers in terms of video accelleration. You can even access the h264 encoder via vaapi, i saw gb working on a gstreamer solution, but did not try that. I am sure gb could tell me more about that. So you do not get only access to decode hardware but even to the encode one, where else do you get this? Ok, when you use x264 with veryfast profile it is usually fast enough, but on win media espresso is really extremely fast. I want that speed with an oss solution...

Comment

Well I'm going in the opposite direction. I've used NVidia ever since I unplugged my Voodoo but given that NVidia has shown no signs of open sourcing (or even sponsoring open source) drivers, and how newer tech like Optimus lacks official Linux support I'm jumping ship. Nouveau is a great project which helps allieviate the aforementioned problems, but I prefer putting my hardware money in the hands of companies who treat my OS of choice as a first-rate citizen and also offer drivers as open source which can then properly mesh with the appropriate kernel subsystems (DRM,KMS), and which also means I'll be able to use future technology like Wayland. Goodbye NVidia.

Comment

you buy NEW ati hardware for oss drivers? really bad joke...

Comment

Well I personally like ATI cards better than NVIDIA for various reasons, but I m damn lazy to mess with everything and NVIDIA drivers just work and having friend and hearing constantly "that broke this broke" well I m definitly not goin to buy ATI card no matter much I would like hardware part of it...

Comment

Working...
                      X