Don't Get Excited Over Coreboot Laptops Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Cause those 17-18" slabs aren't laptops so much as they are desktop computers with
    Yes.

their own built in uninterpretable power supply, screen etc. They are heavy, hot, awkward and eat power like an SUV drinks gas.
    Still less than a comparable desktop.

Most people go the other route of bigass desktop and a netbook or subnotebook for mobile usage. Personally I'd love a 10.1" @ 1280x800
    I am not most people.
    I want to work (or play ) wherever I am. I am not sure but I don't think I do even the majority of my work (student) at home. When we got a room for a project, guess, what we got for working there? Monitors, keyboards and mice.

Thoguh it would be nice if in the future if the OSS drivers can get multi GPU and OpenCL sorted out it would be fun to have the equivalent of the A10 w/ the HD6990m(not like the desktop version, it's only 1 core, not 2) in a 15.4", you know, shut down the HD6990m when it's not needed, but be able to use both for compute, use the IGP for light 3D(think QuakeLive or OpenArena) and the HD6990m for heavy 3d and let the IGP handle Havok engine style OpenCL physics since the performance difference between the current HD6620G(A8 IGP) and HD6990m is so much that there would likely be no benefit from Crossfire, possibly even be slower in that setup...
    What would also be nice and maybe in the nearer future would be using Xen and a linux as dom0 and a windows as domU. With a CPU and mainboard with VT-d you could give the dedicated graphics card to the windows VM and have the integrated GPU for the linux dom0. It just needs a bit magic for actually being able to display both somehow.

Comment

When we got a room for a project, guess, what we got for working there? Monitors, keyboards and mice.
      So a technical solution (big laptop) for a political problem (insufficient school IT funds)?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        So a technical solution (big laptop) for a political problem (insufficient school IT funds)?
        University (is it still "student" in english?). We got it because everybody was fine with it (we could have gotten PCs if we really wanted (I hope)). I just feel much more comfortable working on my own environment on my own PC.

Comment

Yes, uni is still school and someone studying there is still a student

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
            Crap... I was hoping to get a new AMD Trinity with coreboot this year.

So I guess it's not happenning and we'll have to use UEFI that is bigger than the kernel itself. Awesome.
            I am more or less in the same boat, if we are talking about desire for it.
            Todays A8 APUs are almost at that special performance sweetspot, and Trinity will likely be at exactly that sweetspot or a bit better. Besides, most of the boards and laptops that will be shipped will be crippled by the lack of a good BIOS.

Comment

Working...
            X