Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: What The New Linux Game Publishing Will Look Like

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    Currently, LGP has published eight games that contain their DRM technology
    What's your point? Just because they still have some titles that are still available without DRM, it does not justify purchasing them knowing that the money will go to a company that supports it. Plus, since Majesty had DRM applied to it retroactively in an update, what is to stop LGP trying to do that for my games?

    gbudny, I know why you are here defending them, I know your history and all about your efforts to support Linux gaming. I support that, I am big Linux gaming proponent too. But the days of LGP being the lone standard bearer for commercial supported Linux gaming are over. The market has grown up and moved on; we have our own developers now, offering a more competitive service, and LGP is going to have to adapt.

    I know there are many on this forum how enjoy rolling around in their own festering faecal pile of criticism, just because it gives them their own perverse pleasure, but in this case these complaints do need to be heard. LGP has legitimate issues and growing competition; it must adapt to changing times.

    Upon the closing of Loki, Scott Draeker commented that the "idea with Loki was never to create a thriving Linux porting business. We wanted to create a Linux gaming industry... We saw porting as a transitional stage. By porting games we were able to develop the software infrastructure needed for gaming on Linux. We were also able to prove that a market for Linux games exists."

    Well, some way or another, that has happened; their is a definite market here, at least for Indie titles. And LGP is going to have to compete in that market now. So, LGP is going to either have to make their games, largely also Indie titles, more competitive by removing features such as DRM and making it worthwhile to buy from them or they are going to have try and take Linux up the next step on the ladder and start bringing more so called "AAA" titles over to the platform.

    Because that is now the undiscovered country for Linux gaming where we still have something to prove. If LGP keeps on going ignoring the fact that the idea of gaming on Linux has already been achieved, it will go nowhere. What we need now is to expand the reach of that market. Maybe that could be LGP's path to successe again.

    Or, at the very uninspiring least, it could at least make it a more competitive player in the market that exists now.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 02-06-2012 at 03:29 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    This is better version of Postal game, if you use other operating systems:

    http://www.postalgames.com/servlet/t...n-vince/Detail

    I use Linux and Mac OS X, but I play in games only on Linux.
    In which case the best version for you is the one off Desura, as that one has been more fully updated and is significantly cheaper. LGP still is not competitive here.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    @gbudny

    I have got the Prey PC version, was very cheap. The game itself is not that hard, especially when you look at a video walkthru when you dont know where to go next I played it completely with Linux as i did not buy it before the Linux port was done.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    What's your point? Just because they still have some titles that are still available without DRM, it does not justify purchasing them knowing that the money will go to a company that supports it.
    I don 't have problem with DRM in LGP games and most LGP games are DRM-free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Plus, since Majesty had DRM applied to it retroactively in an update, what is to stop LGP trying to do that for my games?
    This is not true, because I asked LGP about DRM and old versions of games:

    Me: Did you made patches with DRM for old version of Majesty (first box version)? I'm curious, because I 'have Balistics for Linux (box version), so I can 't download a replacement disc image, transfer license to someone else etc., which is not good solution. I have other LGP games (without DRM) for example Cold war, Sould Ride, Candy Cruncher, Creatures internet edition, Knights and Merchants etc. and I don 't know what patches you plan to make for these games: patches with DRM or without DRM?

    LGP "All patches are available for both DRMd and non-DRMd versions of the games"

    LGP " the games are essentially the same, except for the DRM/cd-key. Other than that they're both supported just the same, and compatible with each other"

    Me: if I want have Balistics with DRM, I have to buy new version of this game?

    LGP "Yes"

    LGP " it doesn't really add anything to the game though
    it enables redownload and license transfers because we are able to verify an owner - other than that, the games are the same"

    LGP "We don't differentiate between the DRM and non-DRM versions. Both versions will get all updates and patches."

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    gbudny, I know why you are here defending them, I know your history and all about your efforts to support Linux gaming. I support that, I am big Linux gaming proponent too. B
    I defending them, because They ported to Linux many great games.
    Last edited by gbudny; 02-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    I defending them, because They ported to Linux many great games.
    Well, I am afraid that is not enough for me to support them. Not when I have other better options on Linux.

    Though I will admit I was wrong about DRM being applied through updates. It still means I can not buy a new version of Majesty without DRM however.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default DRM or not?

    So how to detect with DRM version from no DRM version since I only want non-DRM versions?

    like http://www.fun4tux.ch/en/games/12-ballistics.html
    is it:

    Ballistics (r2) (with DRM)
    or
    Ballistics (no DRM)

    and please remove all DRM or else... I not going to bought any LGP games.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killertux View Post
    So how to detect with DRM version from no DRM version since I only want non-DRM versions?

    like http://www.fun4tux.ch/en/games/12-ballistics.html
    is it:

    Ballistics (r2) (with DRM)
    or
    Ballistics (no DRM)
    I see updates for Balistics (no DRM) and I think this is Balistics (no DRM), but you can ask them for sure:

    Address

    http://www.fun4tux.ch/en/content/4-about-fun4tux

    http://www.fun4tux.ch/en/games/12-ballistics.html
    http://updates.fun4tux.ch/ballistics/
    Last edited by gbudny; 02-10-2012 at 05:55 AM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Well, I am afraid that is not enough for me to support them. Not when I have other better options on Linux.
    What options?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Though I will admit I was wrong about DRM being applied through updates. It still means I can not buy a new version of Majesty without DRM however.
    Probably someone still sell old version of Majesty for Linux (without DRM):

    http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/resellers.php?
    http://www.amazon.com/

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    Yes.

    Currently, LGP has published eight games that contain their DRM technology:

    Ballistics (r2)
    Jets'n'Guns
    Majesty Gold (r2)
    Sacred
    Shadowgrounds
    Shadowgrounds Survivor
    X2: The Threat (r2)
    X3: Reunion"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Game_Publishing
    you make jokes on me i already do have shadowground+survivor without drm in a HIB

    so i can not unterstand why LGP still use DRM for games selled without DRM???

    this is just stupid!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    you make jokes on me i already do have shadowground+survivor without drm in a HIB

    so i can not unterstand why LGP still use DRM for games selled without DRM???

    this is just stupid!
    If LGP remove DRM from Shadowgrounds and Survivor, LGP buyers lose these options:

    "Allow people to see your license is valid - for if you sell your game.

    Check to see if you are buying a game with a valid license.

    Transfer your license to someone else.

    Download a replacement disc image for your licensed game.

    If you lost your key, retrieve it here.

    If you forgot your password, retrieve it here."

    http://keyserver.linuxgamepublishing.com/?

    They still rental Shadowgrounds and Survivor and they are able to verify an owner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •