Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Is Compiz On Its Deathbed?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    One thing to note about Compiz development is that it no longer happens in GIT. All of it is happening in BZR from now on.

    I would hardly say that compiz is dead though. I'm running Compiz-0.9.7 in Archlinux right now.

    Compiz is fast and stable over here ~ but i am using Nvidia + only the plugins that i need.

    I've also been experimenting with Cinnamon/muffin ~ but much like GS - i experience xruns / glitchyness when using either actitives (in GS) or the 'scale' plugin (in Cinnamon). Compiz still works the best for me in this area (although, it used to cause issues way back when).

    It'll be interesting to see what the cinnamon devs do over time... for me Compiz' selling points are the vast array of 'useful' plugins, that pretty much have no counterparts are found in GS/mutter/Cinnamon/muffin. Although, KDE/kwin has similar features - it's way too much bloat and i don't want to pull in kwin on a non-kde desktop -> although i could be wrong, and someone can correct me if i am wrong -> it probably has some hard dependencies of KDE related packages.

    cheerz

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I wonder if some masochist will create a Unity clone as a (set of?) Gnome-shell extension(s).

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzuran View Post
    I wonder if some masochist will create a Unity clone as a (set of?) Gnome-shell extension(s).
    I've seen a screenshot of such an extension ~ it was the Unity dock, and it looked pretty much the same as in Unity. however, i don't know how good it is really (cause i don't use Gnome-Shell).

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Compiz is not dead. It just moved house without telling anyone:
    https://launchpad.net/compiz-core/+milestone/0.9.7.0
    https://code.launchpad.net/compiz-core

    Compiz is using the LaunchPad project name "compiz-core" because "compiz" was already taken by the Ubuntu packagers.

    A new release 0.9.7.0 is due within weeks and should debut in Ubuntu 12.04 beta-1.

    This all really should have been published on compiz.org, but smspillaz is so busy working on the new release that obviously he hasn't had time.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLStarks View Post
    Compiz has fallen hard from its Beryl and Fusion days.

    It used to be the face of the 3D Linux desktop.

    But we can't have it anymore since Gnome 3 and Unity make it impossible to use it.

    The ubuntu compiz devs killed it IMO by not keeping up with DE changes and poor coding.

    http://bugs.opencompositing.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1352


    Compiz was retired from F17 last night (no last minute reprieves )

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
    Compiz was retired from F17 last night (no last minute reprieves )
    Why would you gloat about it? It was dropped due to lack of a maintainer, not publicly executed for the crime of "poor coding". Spare us the fatuous and inaccurate hyperbole.

    Sam deserves credit for his efforts. Yes, Compiz is currently not as polished as it could be and he well knows it; he evidently doesn't require tutting gossipers to tell him so. Yes, some better organisation and project management wouldn't go amiss. He's a young, very talented guy, learning on his feet, with a bright future to look forward to.

    Like ninez, I use Compiz 0.9 on Arch along with JACK and have similarly found it to be a better fit than GS or Cinnamon. The worry I have is that Compiz will become too close integrated with Unity/Ubuntu. Heres to hoping it remains essentially agnostic (one of its greatest assets).

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by una.szplodrmann View Post
    Why would you gloat about it? It was dropped due to lack of a maintainer, not publicly executed for the crime of "poor coding". Spare us the fatuous and inaccurate hyperbole.

    Sam deserves credit for his efforts. Yes, Compiz is currently not as polished as it could be and he well knows it; he evidently doesn't require tutting gossipers to tell him so. Yes, some better organisation and project management wouldn't go amiss. He's a young, very talented guy, learning on his feet, with a bright future to look forward to.

    Like ninez, I use Compiz 0.9 on Arch along with JACK and have similarly found it to be a better fit than GS or Cinnamon. The worry I have is that Compiz will become too close integrated with Unity/Ubuntu. Heres to hoping it remains essentially agnostic (one of its greatest assets).

    I was the owner/maintainer for the fedora compiz packages.


    The worry I have is that Compiz will become too close integrated with Unity/Ubuntu
    Too late, Sam IMO he killed compiz by making it rpm unfriendly .

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
    I was the owner/maintainer for the fedora compiz packages.

    Too late, Sam IMO he killed compiz by making it rpm unfriendly .
    Well, compiz isn't dead over here ~ but then again, I don't use Fedora

    By your bug report, clearly you knew how to fix the problem ~ why didn't you just submit a patch, then? (or even just create/use the patch yourself, when making your compiz packages?).

    I mean not every distro does things the same. (that being said, yeah, i agree it should be fixed)...But i still don't see that as a huge issue.... On Archlinux (as an example), i often have to modify sources/or export which version of python to use (python2 or python(3)... ). I don't see your packaging problem, being any bigger of a deal than that. It takes less than a minute to create and apply a patch, or write a fix using 'sed' to modify the 2 lines, mentioned in your report.

    cheers

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
    I was the owner/maintainer for the fedora compiz packages.
    Ahhh, I see.

    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
    Too late, Sam IMO he killed compiz by making it rpm unfriendly .
    What with Fedora comprising the totality of desktop linux development, and all that.

    Maybe Compiz will fizzle, maybe it won't. I'd say the large number of bug fixes committed recently is more telling than the doomsaying of an ex-packager.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by una.szplodrmann View Post
    [...]
    Heres to hoping it remains essentially agnostic (one of its greatest assets).
    Well this is the very reason why it is "dying" i.e a compositor should be part of the desktop environment to be well integrated. That's why kwin and mutter (gnome-shell) are now used. Unity is in the same booth. Basically the idea of having a desktop agnostic window-manager and compositor failed.

    That's how things turned out; which kinda makes sense. As for compiz it is not gong to "die" in the foreseeable feature i.e as long as it is used by Unity.

    Yet another former fedora compiz maintainer (I stopped maintaining it back then because I moved on to GNOME3 where it does not really fit in anymore see above).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •