Where is the perfect android dev phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the perfect android dev phone

This will be a mixture of venting and wishlist. Whenever I miss my TRS-80 I get involved with a mobile project. I really just want an actual phone that can be flashed with different version of android so we don't have to buy tons of phone to cover all versions. Have something equivalent to dual bios so it won't be bricked by looking at it, and at least be able to buy a replacement motherboard and touch screen for it.

I am really wishing intel to come and help here. For example, the Qualcomm based phone source code situation is ridiculous. Their is first our familiar linux kernel, which get branched to AOSP, which get branched to qualcomm's codeaurora, which get branched to the manufacturer. All that without nice patches just a bunch of tree merging, not even in a nice git tree often just a bunched up zip file if you can find it, that is a nightmare to update. I am hoping with intel smartphone we can have most driver open source living in the kernel tree or at least have binary for each kernel ABI easily accessible. At the least compiling a vanilla AOSP or one branch would get you a functioning phone even if some peripheral are not working. The google dev phones are good but are only supported for a fix amount of time in AOSP then your on your own.

Until that phone comes along what is your experience? Are any manufacturer better? Are nvidia based phone more dev friendly?

Why not just make a bootable SD card with CWM?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Why not just make a bootable SD card with CWM?
      You still have the same problem as before, there's nothing to boot to. You still have to build the image for other android version and you have to hunt for the source code or binaries. In addition, I find booting from the sd card a little too slow.

Comment

I like my motorola triumph.

All it's partitions can be accessed by putting the phone in download mode (vol- held while powering on, then hooking it up to usb in Ubuntu or whatever you use.
        Phone also comes with sudo out the box, a quick ln -s /bin/sudo /bin/su and any app needing root can get it.... no need for any exploits.

We got 2 of them for about $120 a piece used, both still with valid warranty through either virgin mobile or motorola.. vm actually will get a replacement to you quicker.

Shipped kernel supports loops and that ubuntu for android works great on it. Also the hdmi out is always on for all menu's etc, looks great on our 52inch lcd.

Comment

Working...
        X