Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having SNAppy Intel 2D Acceleration In 2012

Phoronix: Having SNAppy Intel 2D Acceleration In 2012

Here's a new look at Intel's Sandy Bridge New Acceleration (SNA) architecture within their DDX graphics driver. Testing in this article was done across three systems (mobile and desktop class Sandy Bridge hardware as well as an Ironlake system) seeing how well the latest code is performing in an effort to provide a better Intel 2D experience.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Decent quality article, moreover the test results are interesting, too. Well done!

You probably want to scale the graphs where the max value is 1.19, i.e. no need to have an axis till 5.

Comment

The article fails to add how amazingly fullscreen Flash runs with SNA.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
        The article fails to add how amazingly fullscreen Flash runs with SNA.
        For Christ?s sake, flash fails on its own!

Comment

As flash is not hw accellerated with intel/amd systems without nv gfx card (+ override) it is just a matter of cpu speed.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
            Decent quality article, moreover the test results are interesting, too. Well done!

You probably want to scale the graphs where the max value is 1.19, i.e. no need to have an axis till 5.

Thanks. New/more benchmarks tend to serve as more motivation (and additional pages / views).

In terms of the graph scaling, it's not too rare that I use the normalized result view so I haven't done much in the way of optimizing that graph view. But for anyone wanting to toy around with the scaling you can find the relevant code in pts-core/objects/pts_Graph/pts_Graph.php. IIRC, it's in the middle of the file and I think it was called maximum_graph_value(), but too swamped to toy with its optimizations but remember adding an if case to handle really small values as otherwise it was doing some odd steppings.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Since the ubuntu snapshot system without the updated git ddx driver should be your reference for performance, i.e. I think its performance should always be the normalized to one and not scaled so that the lowest value is 1.

The performance of the intel git driver with/without sna are then compared to it and scaled by the same factor. It would also make reading the graphs easier, since I would always know where 1 is.

Comment

I just demand FLASH has a playable capability,not too much.

Comment

Then I hope you are a big customer of Adobe...

Comment

Working...
                  X