Thread: overclocked cpu not showing the correct frequency on linux

Default overclocked cpu not showing the correct frequency on linux

Hi,

I have a ASRock NetTop ION 330 which I have overclocked to 2.00 Ghz by using the BIOS OC Tweaker utility but after rebooting the pc, fedora (f16) keeps reporting 1800 Mhz on /proc/cpuinfo.

What do I need to do to have fedora to recognize the new cpu clock frequency?

Thanks in advance

There's nothing you can do. The Linux kernel is unable to report the correct frequency. You have to live with the problem.

Thanks Real,

But how can I then check the I'm actually running at the new frequency? if I reinstall reinstall the OS with the new BIOS clock frequency, am I going to have the OS reporting the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrieves View Post
    Thanks Real,

But how can I then check the I'm actually running at the new frequency? if I reinstall reinstall the OS with the new BIOS clock frequency, am I going to have the OS reporting the new one?
    No, reinstalling will not do anything. I don't know how to validate OC settings in Linux. The only way I can do it here is to boot Windows and run CPU-Z.

Take a look at the bogomips.

Code:
    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    cpu MHz		: 2500.000
    bogomips	: 5600.61
    This example is a dual-core processor overlocked to 2.8GHz (2x2800=5600 bogomips)

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Take a look at the bogomips.

Code:
    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    cpu MHz		: 2500.000
    bogomips	: 5600.61
    This example is a dual-core processor overlocked to 2.8GHz (2x2800=5600 bogomips)
    That is not how bogomips work. They're per-CPU and don't have any special relation to frequency. I get four different bogimips values here on a quad core.