Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Code-In 2011 Accomplishments

Phoronix: Google Code-In 2011 Accomplishments

Google's 2011 Code-In, which is a winter program similar to their Summer of Code, ended earlier this month with many contributions to some leading open-source projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I only have positive things to say about any contributions made, I do wonder if there could have been better goals. What I mean by that is this:

Every one of these projects: Gnome, Kde, Haiku, Freebsd, and Vlc; all have their own highly active development teams.

Would it not be better if they took on languishing projects which already have a code and documentation base? For example, video drivers would be the most important thing I can think of. That new i740 driver that's been getting a handful of work, or put in some contributions to the R300 code base for which ATI isn't going to be doing so much with, as has been mentioned by Phoronix not too long ago because they are cards which are several years old.

A close second in my mind would be projects which have unfortunately been abandoned, but are largely complete. In particular, games. Even for those of us who aren't gamers can admit that games is a crucial thing for the future of linux and open source.

The great thing about open source is a project can never become extinct - there is always a chance of it being brought back to life either b...

And there are others which are fully maintained, but simply need someone to complete the porting work because the project maintainers use windows.

Just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      While I only have positive things to say about any contributions made, I do wonder if there could have been better goals. What I mean by that is this:

Every one of these projects: Gnome, Kde, Haiku, Freebsd, and Vlc; all have their own highly active development teams.

Would it not be better if they took on languishing projects which already have a code and documentation base? For example, video drivers would be the most important thing I can think of. That new i740 driver that's been getting a handful of work, or put in some contributions to the R300 code base for which ATI isn't going to be doing so much with, as has been mentioned by Phoronix not too long ago because they are cards which are several years old.

A close second in my mind would be projects which have unfortunately been abandoned, but are largely complete. In particular, games. Even for those of us who aren't gamers can admit that games is a crucial thing for the future of linux and open source.

The great thing about open source is a project can never become extinct - there is always a chance of it being brought back to life either b...

And there are others which are fully maintained, but simply need someone to complete the porting work because the project maintainers use windows.

Just some thoughts.
      You do know that "Google Code-in is a contest for pre-university students (e.g., high school and secondary school students ages 13-17)"?

I would really applaud and thank someone in that age-range that would be able to attack something as complex as a graphics hardware driver, but most of them will need a simpler task to "get their feet wet". The objective is to get them interested, not frustrated...

Comment

Nothing particularly interesting this year.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Nothing particularly interesting this year.
          And in a way, that's great: It's easier to get the interesting things done.

Comment

What is "PERL"?

Comment

Ignoring the obvious response to your post, which has already been made..

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
              That new i740 driver that's been getting a handful of work
              What? This i740 driver? http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...86-video-i740/

The one that seriously, *no one* cares about? I can't see that it's received an actual feature change since it entered git in 2003...

We must be talking about different things?

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
              What is "PERL"?
              Wondered the same thing.

Comment

Please don't write PERL but Perl (see http://www.perl.org/about/style-guide.html).
                Perl stands for 'Practical Extraction and Report Language'.

Comment

Working...
                X