Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 17 Moves Forward With Unified File-System

Phoronix: Fedora 17 Moves Forward With Unified File-System

Fedora 17 is moving forward with plans whereby the entire base operating system will live within /usr by condensing several common directories that have been long-standing to Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why move / -> /usr? Why not /usr -> / with /usr becoming a symlink to /?

Comment

Originally posted by Aquous View Post
      Agreed. +1

Comment

Originally posted by Aquous View Post
        Because /usr includes a lot of folders that aren't in /.

/usr/games
        /usr/libexec
        /usr/local
        /usr/share
        /usr/src
        /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

etc

Comment

src, share, local, and include are the normal ones that I see, not sure about games and libexec. In any event, do you spend a lot of time in / where a few extra directories would really bother you? Now that the stuff in /usr will only be in /usr, the grouping will be pretty arbitrary compared to what's sitting directly in /.

Comment

Originally posted by roland View Post
            src, share, local, and include are the normal ones that I see, not sure about games and libexec. In any event, do you spend a lot of time in / where a few extra directories would really bother you? Now that the stuff in /usr will only be in /usr, the grouping will be pretty arbitrary compared to what's sitting directly in /.
            That's not the point. The point is that the directories in / that are being merged into /usr already exist in /usr.

The same is not true in the other direction -- as I just showed.

Comment

The unified file-system is a good idea and a step into the right direction and I'm looking forward to see the change in a lot more distributions.
              Btw., does someone know what happened to gobolinux? Unfortunately the project seems to be dead. While their file-system structure was certainly controversial, it was a consequent and interesting re-layout imho.

Comment

I think the goal is simply to make /[s]bin and /usr/[s]bin equivalent. You could achieve the same by moving the folders from /usr to /, but you would still need symlinks for compatibility (thus, /usr would remain), so there's really no point.

Also, see the page linked in the article:

Myth #11: Instead of merging / into /usr it would make a lot more sense to merge /usr into /.

Fact: This would make the separation between vendor-supplied OS resources and machine-specific even worse, thus making OS snapshots and network/container sharing of it much harder and non-atomic, and clutter the root file system with a multitude of new directories.
                Last edited by Nobu; 27 January 2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

The idea is you could mount an entire new distro onto /usr very easily or use snapshotting from btrfs to allow easier rollbacks

If you read the arguments for this you'll see that it's very thought out

Comment

Myth #11: Instead of merging / into /usr it would make a lot more sense to merge /usr into /.
                    Fact: This would make the separation between vendor-supplied OS resources and machine-specific even worse, thus making OS snapshots and network/container sharing of it much harder and non-atomic, and clutter the root file system with a multitude of new directories.
                    I suggest that people at least TRY to read the FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                    X