Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing Ubuntu (GNOME) Classic To 12.04 LTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Ubuntu (GNOME) Classic To 12.04 LTS?

Phoronix: Bringing Ubuntu (GNOME) Classic To 12.04 LTS?

A discussion for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has been ignited about bringing back an "Ubuntu Classic" option that would attempt to mimic the old GNOME 2.x experience. Meanwhile in the Fedora camp there is a discussion about a Unity desktop port to their distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

gnome-shell fallback is a dead-end. I would rather see Ubuntu devs not interested in Unity work on cinnamon/muffin instead.

Comment

Bringing something like Gnome2 will save you from migration to Linux Mint.

Comment

Mate is just a terrible idea.

What could work is a gnome fallback session with indicator applets ect... and polished up a bit.

Comment

sad days ahead

It's as if the king and his men went mad and destroyed the castle and countryside. The people are left to rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Bringing something like Gnome2 will save you from migration to Linux Mint.
            Agreed. Unity is unusable for me. I've managed to get Gnome Shell to handle my workflows, but I'll be giving Mint/Cinnamon a shot on a spare computer in the next few minutes.

Comment

GNOME is the best desktop environment for Linux. I used unity but I didn't like it.

Comment

Working...
              X