Thread: Btrfs To Go Production-Ready In Oracle Linux

Default Btrfs To Go Production-Ready In Oracle Linux

Phoronix: Btrfs To Go Production-Ready In Oracle Linux

Btrfs, the quite promising next-generation Linux file-system that's been in-development for years by Chris Mason and others, is about to take on a big role within Oracle's Enterprise Linux distribution...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0ODU

Default raid-5

I'll switch from zfs-fuse when btrfs gets raid-5 support. They said they would do that once fsck was in place. So please implement it!

Quote Originally Posted by supert0nes View Post
    I'll switch from zfs-fuse when btrfs gets raid-5 support. They said they would do that once fsck was in place. So please implement it!
    If at all possible, you should go with raid 10. That would give you speed advantages as well as increased robustness (as well as enabling data scrub recovery). Raid 10 has also been available for awhile now.
    Raid 5 can be a death trap...

Quote Originally Posted by supert0nes View Post
    Right. I played around with zfs-fuse for a little bit. What a horrid mess. Unreliable, SLOOOOOOOOOW. Completely worthless.
    BTW: MDRAID supports raid 5/6.... and is actually reliable. Nothing stopping you from running a btrfs over mdraid.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    BTW: MDRAID supports raid 5/6.... and is actually reliable. Nothing stopping you from running a btrfs over mdraid.
    But can it recover from silent corruption errors as btrfs's RAID1(0) implementation could? I imagine, that if RAID5/6 is implemented within btrfs it can recompute the wrong block even if the hardware sees no fault. But with MDRAID the redundancy is transparent and cannot be used to recover, mesa thinks.

Michael, you've taken a quote out of context! When Avi said "BtrFS is that fast ALL the time," he was talking about mkfs.btrfs. No matter what size the filesystem is, mkfs will always be that quick. That has no connection to whether an XFS developer was shooting or not.

This file system has made great progress over the last couple years, im actually pretty excited about finally seeing it reach a stable enough status to go out with a distro and out to a wider audience. good stuff.

really awesome i can't wait for an desktop version i hope kubuntu 12.10 do have it by default

Default Don't hold your breath. It is not working

Hi,
    The btrfs is not stable when you perform intensive large files saving in parallel threads!!! We were able to crash it twice in raw. Btrfs trying to cache data and save it later. In the result we got a kernel panic. The first time Kernel panic was not recoverable without reboot. The second time computer didn't freeze.
    After this system was completely corrupted and it is not recoverable.

Code:
    mount -o recovery /dev/vdb /srv/btrfs
    Looks great on video but doesn't working. See below:
    Code:
    # mount -o recovery /dev/vdb /srv/btrfs
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vdb,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    #
    Dmesg give this:
    Code:
    device fsid c5ce4702-2dbf-4b57-8067-bd6129fc124b devid 1 transid 1384 /dev/vdb
    btrfs: enabling auto recoveryparent transid verify failed on 20971520 wanted 1347 found 3121
    parent transid verify failed on 20971520 wanted 1347 found 3121
    parent transid verify failed on 20971520 wanted 1347 found 3121
    parent transid verify failed on 29470720 wanted 1357 found 3231
    Failed to read block groups: -5
    btrfs: open_ctree failed
    I think Oracle need to spend couple more years before it will work.