Unigine OilRush Officially Ships Today For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Game

This game is AWESOME! Runs great using NVIDIA driver 270.41.19 on my GTX-285 card.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I don't think that 20-25 fps are good for a game. Btw. you can simply change your res to 1280x720 to try it
      I think this game is very playable at 20fps, personally. It's a strategy game, and most of the action takes place using the mini-map or clicking on platforms or buttons. Sure, the animations and cinematic scenes are a little choppy, but the framerate doesn't affect the gameplay that much. It's not as important as when you're playing an FPS or action game.
      That's the reason I never tried it at a lower resolution. I don't like blurry interpolation, and it played fine for me at the low FPS.

And, for a quick update, the average FPS went up to 17-23 FPS, with the latest driver update.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        First of all with a tft you have to use the native res otherwise it is interpolated - thats different from a crt. That does not look good at all, but when you only want to see the impact then you can try it of course.
        Yes, I understand that, but at the same time it is not nearly as bad as you are making out. I mean, you loose some clarity on the edges, but it does not drastically hurt the graphics as much as you seem to be implying. Plus you can also just run it windowed, and get around all of the associated graphical problems. This I imagine would not even be much of a problem if you are playing on a mega-huge screen, which 1920x1280 really actually is. Most modern desktops have smaller screens than my comparatively dinky "17 LCD. And most games I play on R600g (and I play a lot of games) can handle 1280x1024 just fine.
        Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 01 February 2012, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks Unigine for supporting the open source drivers!

I ran Oil Rush 1.01 on my GeForce 310 using the following drivers on Ubuntu Oneiric 3.0.0-15.

Code:
          OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
          OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
          OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0-devel (git-f9f8ce3 oneiric-oibaf-ppa)
          OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Comment

Installed and run... it worked like a charm

Ubuntu 11.04 and 560 Ti, Nvidia drivers..

Ps: where do you guys see the fps?

Comment

Originally posted by elect View Post
              Ps: where do you guys see the fps?
              You have to enable it under Options. It's the last tab, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                Plus you can also just run it windowed, and get around all of the associated graphical problems.
                Keep in mind that if you're using a composited environment, it usually unredirects fullscreen windows. This does not happen if you're running the game in a window, and that can be a considerable performance hit.

Comment

Originally posted by frustum View Post
                  Thanks guys for the support. Both issues are fixed. The updated game will be available soon. I hope it helps to improve open source driver implementations.
                  Any plans when unigine heaven will be updated?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    Keep in mind that if you're using a composited environment, it usually unredirects fullscreen windows. This does not happen if you're running the game in a window, and that can be a considerable performance hit.
                    Yes, though I actually turned that option off on the Xfce compositer as I actually got a more stable FPS with compositing on. I do not know why, but that was the case. So it is not all cut and dry.

I also have a copy of good old Blackbox installed so that I can play games without anything else in the background. But that is probably just because I personally still have a strong affinity for that environment. And my CPU is not the strongest in the world either.

There is also an interesting project called XGamer which will basically do what I do above by loading games in their own separate Openbox session, leaving your own desktop isolated in the background. May sound like a bit of a hack, but it is actually kind of fun to use.

Comment

My best suggestion is to use the binary blob. At least test, you will be surprised how it flies compared to open source one.

Comment

Working...
                      X