Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rolling-Release Version Of Fedora Is Discussed

Phoronix: A Rolling-Release Version Of Fedora Is Discussed

A discussion erupted this morning among Fedora developers about having a version of Fedora Linux that operates on a rolling-release model similar to Arch Linux, Gentoo, and openSUSE Tumbleweed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So how is Debian CUT doing these days? Did they achieve anything?

Comment

The problems CUT is facing are described here http://np237.livejournal.com/31868.html

Comment

Some developers were quick to call Fedora Rawhide their rolling-release, except that Rawhide is not always stable and can easily break in significant ways from time-to-time.
        That describes all rolling-release distros. I'm not just saying that as a hater, I grew up on Gentoo and currently use Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
          That describes all rolling-release distros. I'm not just saying that as a hater, I grew up on Gentoo and currently use Arch.
          Did you use Gentoo with stable keywords? I can't speak for the Gentoo crowd about stability since I use the unstable/current keyword.

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
            Did you use Gentoo with stable keywords? I can't speak for the Gentoo crowd about stability since I use the unstable/current keyword.
            For a while. It didn't make a heck of a lot of difference, portage broke just as easily (especially if it had been several weeks since the last update).

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
              Arch does break sometimes, but is definitely more stable than using something like rawhide.... Also arch packages don't ship with debugging stuff enabled.

Comment

Debian SID + aptlist-bugs is like a rolling release, not so update in some packages or slower to deliver some last versions of other packages, but it's good and stable.

Comment

Rolling distros are mainly addressed for people who know how to deal with them. Gentoo didn't break for me in years and I never lost any data. But for less experienced people who don't know how to solve every potential problem, this might be show stopper. Generally I believe Fedora is very good binary distro and they should stick with it.

The idea of binary rolling distro is very challenging. Perosnally I keep all by Gentoo servers updated with binary packages and sometimes it can be a headache to make sure everything works well with such frequent version/API/ABI changes. Takes a lot of time for testnig.
                  Rob
                  email: [email protected]

Comment

Practically rejected by developers.

Comment

Working...
                    X