Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Announces A Heads-Up Display For 12.04

Phoronix: Ubuntu Announces A Heads-Up Display For 12.04

Mark Shuttleworth has announced a "heads-up display" that Canonical has been working on for its initial debut to be made with the release of the 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

First Person Desktop

A desktop with a HUD. Nice. My hard-drive space will show up as hitpoints right? Hmmm. Its got built-in text to speech. Could use announcer voice.

"Welcome to Ubuntu arena. Enter the portal to begin training."

Comment

Oh Ubuntu, always doing the most impractical things just to be flashy and different!

Comment

Not so sure about this. This could be great, but it needs more work. And I don't know whether casual users will understand and use this. We'll see.

But Unity itself is amazing and will be very polished with 12.04. The only problem at the moment is Compiz, because it has has quite a few performance issues. There are fixes avaible from the legend that is Daniel van Vugt (ppa:vanvugt/compiz & ppa:vanvugt/unity) for Ubuntu 11.10 which make Unity/Compiz fly and he's working on upstreaming them all for 12.04, so hopefully everything will work out great.

Comment

Why do people thing things like this can even work...
          Oke, it can, but only if you already know the menu structure thus "kinda" know what you need to type in. If you're using an app you've never used before the HUD isn't going to help you at all!

This is one of those things that makes the life of experienced users easier simply because they can access their menu items faster and know what to look for. "Fresh" users, again, probably have completely 0,0 use for this.

Nice idea though..

Comment

In my view, experienced users just will prefer keyboard shortcuts (have you seen how long does it take for a simple "Undo"?!), while others will find a traditional menu easier.
            Also, after a few times doing this you realize that constantly moving your right hand between the mouse and the keyboard just to select an option (especially in a program like inkscape) is terribly annoying.

Conclusion: there is a reason if command line programs are command line programs and gui programs are gui programs.

Comment

Although this approach is nice to have, in my opinion it should complement the standard menu system, not replace it.

Some people are more visual than others. Some people recognize and click on icons faster than they can remember the name of the applications.

As one of those people, I made Cinnamon my default desktop and am loving its simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
                In my view, experienced users just will prefer keyboard shortcuts (have you seen how long does it take for a simple "Undo"?!), while others will find a traditional menu easier.
                Also, after a few times doing this you realize that constantly moving your right hand between the mouse and the keyboard just to select an option (especially in a program like inkscape) is terribly annoying.

Conclusion: there is a reason if command line programs are command line programs and gui programs are gui programs.
                Exactly!

I can't understand why we are going into this direction, i.e. why do I need to type for _everything_?! What if I just want to lean back and only use the mouse?
                Have they (unity and g-s devs) even tried to launch an application without typing? It takes ages!
                Same goes for workspaces which is even more annoying... not to mention that you need both hands to press ctrl+alt+arrow so you end up moving your hand between the keyboard and mouse even if you type most of the time.

This is a _major_ usability regression which affects both shells. How's it possible that nobody realised this?

Comment

This is optional, it won't replace the menu anytime soon. So please keep that in mind before you begin bashing Ubuntu/Canonical.

Comment

quite nice thing to have

in needs quite a bit of polishing in terms of aesthetics

Comment

Working...
                    X