No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Announces A Heads-Up Display For 12.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see some use to this, especially if you can use it control unfocused windows. Like playing music or opening a video file/website or something.

I think it would need a single key to open so you don't have to always take your hand off the mouse. And you would also need to set your own custom keys so instead of typing out 'glow' and finding inside glow you can type i or ig and push enter knowing it'll do it.

I'm trying to think of my current workflow and how I could/would use it. I am keen for keyboard use but I also don't want to swap between mouse and keyboard too often it's too clumsy.

Can't think of anything too major but I give them thumbs up for trying to pioneer. This (as could Unity) could evolve into something unique and very suitable for a certain market. It won't be pro's anyway.

Comment

Ubuntu Announces A Heads-Up Display For 12.04

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Ubuntu Announces A Heads-Up Display For 12.04

Mark Shuttleworth has announced a "heads-up display" that Canonical has been working on for its initial debut to be made with the release of the 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0NzU
      This "heads-up display" seems to require a lot of keyboard input. Isn't that counter productive?

Balderdash

Comment

I hate to eat crow or anything but I was goofin around in an 11.10 VM last night (needed to pull some libraries out) and I found myself getting somewhat used to Unity... perhaps even to the point of believing it's not a bad paradigm.

Somebody please, quick... pull me out before they suck me in! Hack into my machine and rm -rf my VMs or something!

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
          I can see some use to this, especially if you can use it control unfocused windows. Like playing music or opening a video file/website or something.

I think it would need a single key to open so you don't have to always take your hand off the mouse. And you would also need to set your own custom keys so instead of typing out 'glow' and finding inside glow you can type i or ig and push enter knowing it'll do it.

I'm trying to think of my current workflow and how I could/would use it. I am keen for keyboard use but I also don't want to swap between mouse and keyboard too often it's too clumsy.

Can't think of anything too major but I give them thumbs up for trying to pioneer. This (as could Unity) could evolve into something unique and very suitable for a certain market. It won't be pro's anyway.
          Get a keyboard with media keys. As a user of Windows from the days you didn't even need a mouse and a Mac user left hand never leaves keyboard right hand never leaves mouse anyways. So again, this is a solution in search of a problem like those crappy products you see sold via infomercials.

Comment

I have media keys. Using a (very crappy, do not recommend) Microsoft Wireless Desktop 5000 and it has a bunch of keys. The thing with video is if you're not focused on it it won't pick up the media keys. Also I was thinking about an ideal world and controlling web music apps and videos like YouTube.

I am the same as you I have my left hand on the mouse and right on the keyboard and that's how I like it, however some commands still require me to move from my mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
              I have media keys. Using a (very crappy, do not recommend) Microsoft Wireless Desktop 5000 and it has a bunch of keys. The thing with video is if you're not focused on it it won't pick up the media keys.
              IIRC, some media players let you assign global keys, that will work when the video isn't in focus.

Comment

I'll keep that in mind thanks. I use SMPlayer.

Comment

It doesn't look like smplayer has this. VLC seems to, and I know all KDE ones do (it is built into KDE), but I guess smplayer does not.

Comment

I only tolerate two players: MPC on Windows and SMPlayer on Linux.
                    Thanks for the info, though.

Comment

As some have already said, KDE already has most of this (and much more) with krunner. The only thing the HUD had that krunner didn't was the ability to trigger application menu items. Note the past tense there, someone has already written an add-on for krunner that will add that, and it should be in the next KDE release: AppMenu Runner, meet the KDE HUD.

Comment

Working...
                      X