Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon Fork Of GNOME Shell Is Tasty At v1.2

Phoronix: Cinnamon Fork Of GNOME Shell Is Tasty At v1.2

Cinnamon, the fork of the GNOME 3.x Shell by Linux Mint developers to make it more like the GNOME2 desktop, is now at version 1.2. This latest stable, major release does bring some tasty changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fortunately there is an Ubuntu PPA which works well. Sadly this inherits Gnome Shell's very broken support for multiple monitors (it can't tell the difference between a second monitor and a second workspace, repeatedly confusing the two).

I don't mind much of Gnome Shell, but the lack of a panel for running apps is a huge problem. I always have numerous Chrome, Emacs, Eclipse and Terminal windows. Most annoying though the sheer quantity of memory and CPU gnome shell uses.

Edit: I tried Cinnamon for a while but gave up. I don't really want Gnome 2 - what I do want is Gnome 3 with a panel a few other highlights. The breaker for me was that Cinnamon makes considerably smaller fonts be used. Changing font settings to the next size up resulted in too large fonts.
    Last edited by grotgrot; 24 January 2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I'll be giving this a shot after I get my next system built. I've been poking around Mint in a VM, and I'm liking it so far. Ubuntu's Unity is a non-starter for me, and Ubuntu doesn't seem to care about Gnome Shell at all (my current preferred desktop). I'd jump ship to Fedora or something else, but I'm currently unwilling to lose apt, and I'm not quite ready to go back to Lunar (my first/favorite source-based distro).

Comment

while its good improvement compared to the crap that gnome-shell is... i still prefer MATE desktop atm.
        Cinnamon still not yet that customizable and lacks some polish and features. but its all work in progress and by the release of mint 13 it will be pretty featurefull probably.
        yet i will stay with mate desktop.. the good old gnome2 stuff doesnt want to fade away from me..i just need the simplicity, yet the ways to configure my stuff properly.

Comment

Does compiz work with this muffin? My main problem with gnome-shell is that is choppy on GeForce 9400M on my laptop, launching apps through Activites->Applications takes about 5 seconds. Xfce is the only thing that runs really great. As grotgrot said, fonts do not conform to system wide setting.

Comment

muffin is based on mutter, so it works with clutter. There are some basic desktop effects for it already.
            Last edited by DanL; 24 January 2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
              while its good improvement compared to the crap that gnome-shell is... i still prefer MATE desktop atm.
              Cinnamon still not yet that customizable and lacks some polish and features. but its all work in progress and by the release of mint 13 it will be pretty featurefull probably.
              yet i will stay with mate desktop.. the good old gnome2 stuff doesnt want to fade away from me..i just need the simplicity, yet the ways to configure my stuff properly.
              ^ This. All of it. ^

Comment

Holy mackerel Cinnamon is nice. I mean, it basically makes the best out of the situation with gnome-shell. I think I'll be using it long term and I am hoping that it will continue to evolve and flourish. I love GNOME in general, but shell is just too wacky with the interaction model to suit me. Cinnamon suits me. I love it!

Comment

Working...
                X