Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview: Intel's Open-Source Driver Can Beat Mac OS X

Phoronix: Preview: Intel's Open-Source Driver Can Beat Mac OS X

Thanks to recent advancements by Intel's Open-Source Technology Center, the open-source Linux graphics driver not only supports more OpenGL 3.0 functionality than Apple's Intel graphics driver for Mac OS X, but the performance is more competitive. In some cases, the OpenGL performance is now superior under Linux with the open-source driver that is developed by Intel in conjunction with the free software community. This article is looking at the performance of Intel Sandy Bridge graphics under Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" and Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OS x is crap, indeed. It looses nearly in everything compared to Linux. Even as a gaming platform - Linux + wine is far better than os x + few commercial games + wine that works better on Linux.

Comment

Hi Michael,

looks like your results for Warsow and Xonotic with Mac OS X drivers haven't made it through...

And the corruption you seen on Nexuiz (http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer...11_nexuiz2_lrg) looks similar to the issue we have with interlaced outputs, could you tell us what resolution this problem happened and what output you were using? There are some patches on intel-gfx mailing list from Peter Ross from xvid.org project, but they haven't been picked up by any branch yet (although I expect them to enter drm-intel-next branch at some point).

Comment

Missing results for macosx on some test!!

Fix it asap, pls!

Comment

Could an OGL3 demo be tested like Unigine Heaven

It could be that Apple are putting more effort into the newer parts of the driver

Comment

Hi, just a quick Q - why is the test hardware different between the systems tested?

Is it a device name bug in the test suite showing differences between ubuntu/macosx?

e.g. the CPU, Motherboard, RAM, chipset, graphics card

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Could an OGL3 demo be tested like Unigine Heaven

It could be that Apple are putting more effort into the newer parts of the driver
              The article actually statest that Apple does not have OGL3 for Intel hardware. So even if theya re puting there effort there, they haven't released anything yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                The article actually statest that Apple does not have OGL3 for Intel hardware. So even if theya re puting there effort there, they haven't released anything yet.
                That's because the article and benchmarks are using Apple's Legacy codepath.

Apple supports full OpenGL 3.2 for Sandy Bridge under the Core profile. I believe that's the best support of any operating system, since I think even Intel's Windows drivers are only OpenGL 3.1. For better or for worse, Apple decided on a clean break and didn't implement a Compatibility profile. There's only a Legacy profile (OpenGL 2.1 + all OpenGL 3.0 extensions except GLSL 1.30) and a Core profile (OpenGL 3.2). I don't think any game on OS X currently uses the Core profile though. Perhaps Unigine will when it's finally released to the public.

Comment

so unless apple writes their drivers for all devices by themselves, which i highly doubt, i think nearly all of you are bashing the wrong company - intel makes the drivers, therefore, THEY are the ones doing a bad job. note that mac osx is designed to be stable, and uses very old releases of things to ensure that theres no awkward new problem.

i'm not saying we shouldn't be happy for linux though, because i'm ecstatic that linux is doing this great. i'm just saying that people aren't focusing on who the real failure is, and unless someone can prove me wrong, thats the intel devs for mac.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    so unless apple writes their drivers for all devices by themselves, which i highly doubt, i think nearly all of you are bashing the wrong company - intel makes the drivers, therefore, THEY are the ones doing a bad job. note that mac osx is designed to be stable, and uses very old releases of things to ensure that theres no awkward new problem.

i'm not saying we shouldn't be happy for linux though, because i'm ecstatic that linux is doing this great. i'm just saying that people aren't focusing on who the real failure is, and unless someone can prove me wrong, thats the intel devs for mac.
                    Apple does write a bunch of the OpenGL stack in OSX, just like Microsoft does D3D in Windows. Both just require the vendor drivers to hook into their framework.

Comment

Working...
                    X