Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable For Open-Source Photography

Phoronix: Darktable For Open-Source Photography

For those less than impressed by Corel releasing some professional-grade Linux photography software earlier this month, Adobe still not providing native Linux clients for their popular applications, and haven't been fond of the major open-source photography programs out there, you may want to try out Darktable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what advantages does it have over Digikam? Digikam has been stable for years, and I think it already has all the features you listed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      So what advantages does it have over Digikam? Digikam has been stable for years, and I think it already has all the features you listed.
      No, it doesn't. Digikam forces you to save all your changes to image files, while darktable only saves descriptions of the changes to XMP. Welcome to non-destructive editing

Comment

Photo albums

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this discussion but I'll jump in anyhow. I haven't used Darktable but I've been using digiKam for quite some time now. It has the most laughable notion of an album i can imagine - just a directory. In my mind an album is some subset of your photos that you can arrange as you like. And some photos may be on several albums. I don't want to keep copies of my photos only so I can have them in different albums. Using tags for "albums" doesn't work either because the photos are then separated into subgroups according to the directory (album) they came from. And in any case, you cannot reorder the photos to your liking. And the order is an alphabetical one, rather than by the more relevant time of the photo (try mixing photos from a Canon with photos from a Nikon). In short, digiKam has no albums whatsoever. I don't know if any other photo management program has proper albums. I'm still using digiKam because I'm too lazy to look around. Maybe I'll give Darktable a try.

Comment

Working...
        X