Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D: A Half-Decade Behind Catalyst?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marek is the absolute #1 independent dev in the mesa project. Period.

@Marek:
    Obviously, you have an invitation from me as well for a well-spent night. I reckon I made that promise a few years back, so just re-iterating in case you forgot.
    Let me know if you ever come to Hungary or Austria!

Comment

features and stability vs performance

Performance isn't everything. For example I'm wondering why Michael haven't included any Unigine benchmark... because guess what, r300g kicks fglrx ass there (mainly because fglrx can't run those and r300g can just fine). Also r300g is advertising way more extensions, including some from GL3.0 or later. And don't forget about stability. Back in the days of fglrx I got xserver crash at least once a week.

On the other side, if you spot some performance problems, open a bug, they _are_ being fixed! From almost 60 bugs I've opened at fdo in the past few years, only 9 remains open, sometimes being fixed only a few hours after being reported.

For example there is at least one, maybe two performance regressions judging from reading Michael's results, and some misrenderings, which he is probably never going to report, and the developers won't never know about this and never fix this ( well actually I do realize that there are some developers reading this forums but I don't expect them to be in a mood to fix anything after reading all those cheerful and supportive comments ).

I'll see if I can reproduce any of this with my RV530 card, but this bugs may as well be specific to r400 cards. This is the reason why getting a wide testing coverage is really important, there are many different card models for every generation and the developers doesn't have time to test everything (I'm not saying they do not test, but piglit runs on one or two different cards is never going to catch all bugs).

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        You should be bloody ashamed of yourself about how ignorant you are.
        He was ironic
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Looks like a ripe opportunity to make a linux distro. Catabuntu.

There. No more complaints. Low tech people can just run catabuntu. Old xorg , old kernel but have everything else updated.

Comment

Catabuntu, LOL
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

This may sound silly, but I would rather they not strip old drivers out. I mean, I would rather have old bitrotted support than NO support. Think about it. Plenty of people run computers that are older than 5 years old. I think it is just silly. Hell, one great reason to run linux is that it supports older hardware so well. It is a damn shame devs don't think about the users anymore (see Unity and Gnome 3.)

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                It is a damn shame devs don't think about the users anymore (see Unity and Gnome 3.)
                Or maybe it is a shame that there aren't enough devs to care about all the old hardware, in addition to the current. The solution: Learn programming, or pay someone to maintain the stuff you want maintained.

Comment

This may sound silly, but I would rather they not strip old drivers out. I mean, I would rather have old bitrotted support than NO support.
                  Just use an older Mesa and older xorg.

It's all still there.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    Just use an older Mesa and older xorg.

It's all still there.
                    Unless you are running a distro that doesn't support it or are running Solaris/BSD. I mean, why not just leave the code in a branch as unmaintained. I mean, it would just be nice to have if you are running said older hardware.

Comment

Unless you are running a distro that doesn't support it or are running Solaris/BSD. I mean, why not just leave the code in a branch as unmaintained. I mean, it would just be nice to have if you are running said older hardware.
                      IIRC the thinking was "the code is in a CM system, so you can go back and create a branch from any point you want if needed", ie the branch doesn't have to be created today. All previous versions of the code are in the CM system and available by rolling back to an earlier commit.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X