Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases Catalyst 12.1 Driver For Linux

Default AMD Releases Catalyst 12.1 Driver For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Releases Catalyst 12.1 Driver For Linux

AMD has unleashed the first Catalyst Linux binary driver update of 2012, but does Catalyst 12.1 bring anything interesting or just more breakage?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0ODM

However, as already reported in the forums, if you try to build the Debian packages from the Catalyst 12.1 installer, it's actually broken.
    No, its not broken.

Last edited by yaji; 01-25-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yaji View Post
    No, its not broken.
    Confirmed. No issues here, building went fine on Ubuntu 11.10 (x86), I wasn't presented with any errors and installation went OK. It could be that they have fixed the issue and provided an updated download so you could try downloading it again.

About the new update:
    I'm quite happy. Finally some progress with the GNOME Shell issues!
    No more graphical corruption with overlay scroll bar handle's, tooltips and dropdown lists on websites. No more glitches when alternately hovering over the different icons in the notification area (bottom-right corner).

One thing I can't confirm to be fixed yet is the random crashing of GNOME Shell...since it's happening at random ;-)

The multi-monitor issue where you can't set the right-hand monitor to be primary unfortunately remains...

Finaly with this release, Intel Sandy Bridge + AMD 6490 hybrid graphics on HP ProBook 4530s works (a least AMD card works - with intel there is no direct rendering, don't know why).

Quote Originally Posted by yaji View Post
    No, its not broken.
    Confirmed. No issues here, building went fine on Ubuntu 11.10 (x86), I wasn't presented with any errors and installation went OK. It could be that they have fixed the issue and provided an updated download so you could try downloading it again.

About the new update:
    I'm quite happy. Finally some progress with the GNOME Shell issues!
    No more graphical corruption with overlay scroll bar handle's, tooltips and dropdown lists on websites. No more glitches when alternately hovering over the different icons in the notification area (bottom-right corner).

One thing I can't confirm to be fixed yet is the random crashing of GNOME Shell...since it's happening at random ;-)

The multi-monitor issue where you can't set the right-hand monitor to be primary unfortunately remains...

what about support for linux kernel 3.2 and greater? and any performance differences?

What about direct rendering... I'm certainly hoping to see "some" progression there... Preferably in my lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    and any performance differences?
    Besides a list of issues fixed, which I listed in a post that has to be approved first for some reason, switching to Activity overview in GNOME shell appears to be faster and smoother. Can't say much about any, more important, performance improvements yet.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    what about support for linux kernel 3.2 and greater? and any performance differences?
    Linux 3.2 is already supported for some time.

Regarding the Ubuntu packages, it didn't work on my desktop nor on my notebook (both 64-bit). I'll try to work it out soon.

The xv video bug is fixed?