Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sandy Bridge Shines With Mesa 8.0

Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge Shines With Mesa 8.0

Now that the Nouveau, Radeon, and LLVMpipe graphics drivers have been tested under Mesa 8.0, what is left? The Intel DRI driver, of course! The open-source Sandy Bridge Linux graphics support is shining with Mesa 8.0 thanks to OpenGL 3.0 support and measurable performance improvements. Intel Ivy Bridge is also ready to run under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could you please post an article with screenshots of each game running, so we can see if there are any visual improvements between the OpenGL2.1 and the OpenGL3.0 release?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      Could you please post an article with screenshots of each game running, so we can see if there are any visual improvements between the OpenGL2.1 and the OpenGL3.0 release?
      Seeing as most games doesn't utilise OGL3 there would be little point in doing so

The Heaven benchmark uses OGL3 but doesn't run under OGL2.1 so again there couldn't be a comparison

Hopefully now i965 is (and r600 nearly is) compatible we'll see more games with OGL3 switchable backends appearing

Comment

vs Windows?

I wonder how it compares to the same games running on Windows. Last comparison I saw was kinda eye-opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
          I wonder how it compares to the same games running on Windows. Last comparison I saw was kinda eye-opening.
          Do you mean performance or visually? I mean, the latter wouldn't just be different if the games used both Direct3D and OpenGL, or if they use patented stuff like ST3C and floating-point textures. If you mean performance-wise, then nevermind my comment

Regarding "No point in doing so", I guess that if that is the case, we'll see it in the comparison. It would be nice to see an article displaying the difference, or lack-thereof. Doom3 is probably quite different, isn't it?

Comment

Yes, I meant performance.
            Found a benchmark: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._compare&num=1

Comment

I can add that considering the tropics benchmark i went from a 15fps black screen to a well-rendered 7fps demo though the night scene (hdr) and dof tests are still borked.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                Michael doesn't enable floating point textures so he cannot test OpenGL 3.0. He is still testing OpenGL 2.1 + most 3.x extensions and GLSL 1.30.

Comment

Working...
                X