No announcement yet.

what driver should i use for ati 3870?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what driver should i use for ati 3870?

So I just bought an ATI 3870 after having an nvidia 7800gt and gaming in windows is phenomenal. Unfortunately, I've been welcomed into the world of linux ati drivers and its not very pretty. Right now I'm running vesa and I would love to get compiz/3d acceleration. I tried 7.11 driver but that was a no go. What driver should I use? Does the open source driver support the 3870? I read on here that it did, but I'm not sure how to get a recently updated version or if it really even does support 3d. If all this is for naught, anyone have speculation that 7.12 will support my card? Thanks in advance, I hope ATI wakes up, running linux with my 7800gt was a dream come true.

7.12 should hopefully support it if 7.11 didn't. The open-source driver should work if you add the PCI ID. Check in another thread in the open-source ATI section for what to add.

There'll be a HD 3850 and HD 3870 coming in next week so there'll be some tests shortly after that.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ahh good to hear.
      Im counting on that the 7.12 driver will include 3850 3870 support.
      If they do i will upgrade my graphics card for sure

Loooking forward to your test

Comment

The open source driver for r500/r600 only has 2D acceleration. They have not even started to try to implement 3D acceleration yet. They're just finishing basic 2D acceleration, 3D is about a year off. You might have luck with the closed 7.12, or 8.01 but I'd recommend selling that card well it's still worth something. Or trade it in, nvidia has pretty much perfectly working drivers right now. To be honest you might not see even a stable proprietary driver from ati for a year, if ever... I hope not though but they have a really, really, really bad track recored. They have been saying for years their driver would improve, but the gains are pretty pathetic. Go nvidia, from an ATI user of 15 years, but hopefully not much longer if I have some chase left after xmas.

ps. ati you're bastards!
        Last edited by daniel of sarnia; 09 December 2007, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel of sarnia View Post
          The open source driver for r500/r600 only has 2D acceleration. They have not even started to try to implement 3D acceleration yet. They're just finishing basic 2D acceleration, 3D is about a year off.
          3D is coming in less than a year...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by daniel of sarnia View Post
            The open source driver for r500/r600 only has 2D acceleration. They have not even started to try to implement 3D acceleration yet. They're just finishing basic 2D acceleration, 3D is about a year off. You might have luck with the closed 7.12, or 8.01 but I'd recommend selling that card well it's still worth something. Or trade it in, nvidia has pretty much perfectly working drivers right now. To be honest you might not see even a stable proprietary driver from ati for a year, if ever... I hope not though but they have a really, really, really bad track recored. They have been saying for years their driver would improve, but the gains are pretty pathetic. Go nvidia, from an ATI user of 15 years, but hopefully not much longer if I have some chase left after xmas.

ps. ati you're bastards!
            Well things semm to have changed.
            I have been on Nvidia hardware exclusive in a year before i bought my 2600pro , so im aware of the difference in quality.
            Howewer with each release from 8.40 and upward things have inded got better. Amd has always been a good bet for me, and i have faith that they will stear ati the right way forward.

Right now my 2600pro has good performance.
            The only problem with is is that under 3d gaming it may suddenly kill xserver , and a hard reset is the only way to fix this. But for the most it behaves good.

Comment

I have a few Quick questions for you which are relavant to seeing about fixing this...

1) are you using dual monitors? ( i use this, and currently can't use OpenGL as well without disabling malloc checks. )

2) which distribution do you use... i use ubuntu which will automatically restart the Xserver should it crash.

3) which 3d apps where you running at the time?

4) can you post a bug report, which includes the following information... i recommend posting on the unofficial bug reports web site... which is located here.

4a) system specification, which includes model information for the motherboard, cpu, ram, video card, Monitor, and hard drive.

4b) Xorg log that was written just before the crash... Ubuntu has this located in the folder, /var/log

4c) software information... Xorg version, Fglrx driver, and versions of some of the other software that was running at the time.

4d) Xorg configuration file.

Comment

1. No 22 1680x1050

2.Linux mint old version (based on ubuntu7.04)

3.Wow trough .wine

b: You mean the Xorg.o.log file?
                that only shows the startup, noy anything consider the crash?.

or do you mean another log file
                This is whhat i got in my var/log folder
                teroedni@brisbane:/var/log$ dir
                acpid cups gdm syslog.0
                acpid.1.gz daemon.log installer syslog.1.gz
                acpid.2.gz daemon.log.0 kern.log syslog.2.gz
                acpid.3.gz daemon.log.1.gz kern.log.0 syslog.3.gz
                acpid.4.gz daemon.log.2.gz kern.log.1.gz syslog.4.gz
                apport.log daemon.log.3.gz kern.log.2.gz syslog.5.gz
                apport.log.1 debug kern.log.3.gz syslog.6.gz
                apport.log.2.gz debug.0 lastlog udev
                apport.log.3.gz debug.1.gz lpr.log unattended-upgrades
                apport.log.4.gz debug.2.gz mail.err user.log
                apport.log.5.gz debug.3.gz mail.info user.log.0
                apport.log.6.gz dmesg mail.log user.log.1.gz
                apport.log.7.gz dmesg.0 mail.warn user.log.2.gz
                aptitude dmesg.1.gz messages user.log.3.gz
                aptitude.1.gz dmesg.2.gz messages.0 uucp.log
                auth.log dmesg.3.gz messages.1.gz wtmp
                auth.log.0 dmesg.4.gz messages.2.gz wtmp.1
                auth.log.1.gz dpkg.log messages.3.gz wvdialconf.log
                auth.log.2.gz dpkg.log.1 news Xorg.0.log
                auth.log.3.gz dpkg.log.2.gz pycentral.log Xorg.0.log.old
                bittorrent dpkg.log.3.gz samba Xorg.1.log
                boot envy-installer.log scrollkeeper.log Xorg.1.log.old
                bootstrap.log faillog scrollkeeper.log.1
                btmp fontconfig.log scrollkeeper.log.2
                btmp.1 fsck syslog

Comment

I'd upgrade to ubuntu 7.10, however i was refering to the xorg.0.log or whatever the last file was... back it up before you reboot if you can... and as for wine... which version.

Comment

Yea im considering that
                    But then i would need to install all over again.

my wine version is wine-0.9.49

But how will the xorg.0.log file help ?
                    After what i known it only shows the startup and intilisation of the graphic cards. I dont think it shows any error message later on when fglrx hard locks the system:/
                    Last edited by teroedni; 09 December 2007, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X