PulseAudio Ported To Android, Compared To AudioFlinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to see PA on Android.

It would make a kick-ass Apple Airplay competitor since you could stream high-quality audio directly to a sink on another device. Think Raspberry Pi acting as an Airport Express.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      I still think I'd rather have a pipeline that introduces a very small amount of latency but is as flexible and power-saving as PA, over a pipeline that has zero added latency but doesn't have the features or power savings of PA. It's hard to have both (indeed the maintainers of JACK2 recognized that you can't really have both, by recognizing the separate usefulness of PA and JACK.)
      Having two servers is not an optimal solution and at some point the devs should look into merging it into one that will be able to handle Studio Work and Joe Average user work.

It will simplify things quite a bit.

Comment

my experience on pulseaudio was terrible.

On my PC, it suck up CPU and introduce latency and gitches when i play HD Movie and game. it neither utilize hardware acceleration of my sound card nor the SIMD instruction of the CPU

On a Nokia N900 phone and i found out that pulseaudio suck around 30% CPU when play music!

On power-scarce mobile device, I hope introducing PA will not be a disaster. Pulseaudio is not designed to be a cpu-efficient and low-latency sound server after all.

Actually, i think that Google should try to introduce sound mixing in kernel, like OSS does.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          It will simplify things quite a bit.
          I don't see how exactly; wouldn't having everything in same package over-compliacte the "one" sound server for everyone? ...if it's acknowledged by both sides that it's not going to happen I would assume that there's pretty hard reasons to why.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            I was thinking exactly the same thing. It's rare that you get an article saying so many positive things about PA but you can't really argue with those kinds of results.
            This article proves that someone could do even worse than PA. Why should we kick PA for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              Wayland maybe, but Pulseaudio and SystemD are nasty ugly things that need to die a fast death.
              There's nothing wrong with pulseaudio, It was only pushed too early into ubuntu and fedora before it was ready. I haven't had problems with it in ages. So sick of the ridiculous hate comments it gets for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                I don't see how exactly; wouldn't having everything in same package over-compliacte the "one" sound server for everyone? ...if it's acknowledged by both sides that it's not going to happen I would assume that there's pretty hard reasons to why.
                my comment was from the end user POV and thats all that matters IMO

right now if you want to do something music related (DAW) you have to go through all the "trouble" of installing jack removing PA or setting it up to work side by side etc. etc.

you don't have to do the same stuff for example in Mac OS X or Win. you just install the software you want to use afaik

i seem to recall Lennart saying something (in an interview) that the reason for not doing it was lack of manpower but i might be wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  my comment was from the end user POV and thats all that matters
                  In that case it's not necessary for drastic changes like merging two sound servers that obviously can't be merged (in sense of code, community, API etc...). A better support for Jack in PulseAudio would be more appropriate. I think that Ubuntu Studio tried something like that but I'm not sure what came out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    In that case it's not necessary for drastic changes like merging two sound servers that obviously can't be merged (in sense of code, community, API etc...). A better support for Jack in PulseAudio would be more appropriate. I think that Ubuntu Studio tried something like that but I'm not sure what came out of it.
                    yes it will probably (don't know the technicalities behind that) be a heck of a job to merge but at some point it must be done IMO.

here is Lennarts blog post explaining the situation and possibilities

and while i cant say anything about the technical part of the whole thing i have arguments against his user cases.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      There's nothing wrong with pulseaudio, It was only pushed too early into ubuntu and fedora before it was ready. I haven't had problems with it in ages. So sick of the ridiculous hate comments it gets for no reason.
                      I took a look in PA source code, many of the resamplers are filled with comments about slow performance, and there's no SIMD use at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X