Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

headset/mic for skype, voip, gaming etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headset/mic for skype, voip, gaming etc.?

I'm looking for a somewhat cheap headset that would be good for skype in particular. Although, these headsets seem to be marketed for gaming and possibly voip, too?

I was recommended Logitech ones but I didn't think they were that good. Especially, when they make mice and other devices.

Is there anything under $50 that would be good enough? Also, I was wondering if I should pursue a wireless version. I think the charge ranges from 2 to 4 hrs but that is probably enough time. As long as it doesn't take ages to re-charge. I thought it might be convenient not to have the wire dangling.

EDIT: if it's wireless, is there any issue to be aware of in using it with Linux? Some are bluetooth but it should work with generic bluetooth drivers?

Although, I might want headphones for music sometime and then wouldn't mind one with wires. But, I might want a better quality one then.

For occasional skype use and using for maybe .5 to 2hrs at a time, I think it needs to be somewhat comfortable but there's so many brands and models out there. In addition, there's some that fit over your head and some that have a band behind the neck.

I read that it's better to get the usb variety, too, so it needs to be that type.

Any advice?

I guess Skype in Linux is not in the best shape but I am not sure there is much choice for 'skype-compatible' software.

Any ideas and advice will be appreciated. I don't like going through all the various units available (LOL!) as there's so many but there's no reviews that jump out at me so I'm currently undecided.

Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by Panix; 15 January 2012, 03:20 PM.

Basically the cheapest wired headsets are enough for skype when you are able to configure your sound solution the correct way. You should not think that you get a hifi grade voip connection If you dont manage that maybe get something with usb connection which is basically the same as a standard wired headset plus usb soundcard. I would not really recommend using a bt headset. I have got a mono one only, but i think the delay you have got with it will be with a stereo one as well, which is VERY annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Basically the cheapest wired headsets are enough for skype when you are able to configure your sound solution the correct way. You should not think that you get a hifi grade voip connection If you dont manage that maybe get something with usb connection which is basically the same as a standard wired headset plus usb soundcard. I would not really recommend using a bt headset. I have got a mono one only, but i think the delay you have got with it will be with a stereo one as well, which is VERY annoying.
      Thanks! The main use will be with skype. I'm looking at $40 headsets from the Plantronics and Jabra brands. Any thoughts on them? They seem ok for the price but probably nothing special. As long as the sound is ok and the headset doesn't break right away.

Comment

Never heard of, i usually prefer <10? headsets as sooner or later you always destroy em Last one i got was for only 3?.

Comment

Working...
        X