No announcement yet.

Enlightenment Is Enlightening Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody said we were talking about source code; yes, Qt's source is definitely bigger than the efl's.
    Anyway, let me finish cloning the Qt repository and then I'll get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Maybe try compiling gtk, qt, and efl and take the time on each
      Does this statement really have to end with "take the time?"

Comment

What would you like it to end with?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          What would you like it to end with?
          "and combine them all into one condense perfect super library ,that's the size of SDL, while retaining all the functionality of the aforementioned libraries."

I think that would make me much happier than compiling all these libraries one by one.

Comment

For humor:

Qt:
            Code:
            # time gmake -j3
            8671.82s	user
            1013.20s	system
            172%		cpu
            1:33:30.64	total
            efl: (well...I guess)
            Code:
            eina:
            23.36s	user	3.56s	system		182%  cpu	14.766	total

eet:
            12.27s	user	1.64s	system		131%  cpu	10.617	total

evas:
            150.51s	user	19.20s	system		160%  cpu	1:45.84	total

ecore:
            73.85s	user	14.22s	system		157%  cpu	56.056	total

embryo:
            11.40s	user	1.24s	system		174%  cpu	7.232	total

edje:
            66.15s	user	8.14s	system		 95%  cpu	1:17.65	total

efreet:
            17.92s	user	3.67s	system		167%  cpu	12.888	total

e_dbus:
            28.50s	user	7.21s	system		115%  cpu	30.993	total

eeze:
            2.90s	user	0.94s	system		111%  cpu	3.453	total

grand total:
            386.8s	user	59.8s	system		143%  cpu	5:19.5	total
            So, Qt takes roughly 17.5x longer to compile than "efl"***.

***Qt 4.8 from git built with these configure flags:
            "-fast -opensource -system-sqlite -no-qt3support -svg -graphicssystem opengl -nomake tools -nomake demos -nomake docs -nomake examples"
            I suppose I could have cut a bit more stuff out, but didn't feel like taking the time.

Comment

EFL with default options and qt skipping several parts? That's cheating

Comment

Well, at least I stated clearly that I did that.

And, to be fair, I didn't compile any of the efl examples, demos, or tools either (since those are separate from the libraries, afaict). I also didn't compile some of the "Extra" libraries (even though they could be considered part of efl) because I didn't know about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  Since I am begginig project with Qt, any one can explain why Enlightenment was chosen for Tizen, instead of Qt?
                  Does Qt has a problem with embedded devices? Thank you.
                  If you go to FOSDEM, raster will talk about the EFL and Tizen. Otherwise, you can read this interview:

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
                    Actually, development on the Wayland port did not "officially" start until December. The stuff posted in November was just me getting familiar with the Wayland code. I am glad that people are finding interest in this tho

Yes, the EFL libraries like evas, ecore, ecore_evas, and elementary all render in Wayland now using Shared Memory or EGL. With regard to the speed at which this was accomplished ... I will just say, it's been a long road The Enlightenment libraries themselves are known for running on various devices pretty easily due to their modular design. That being said, the Wayland port was no easy task tho mainly due to figuring out how Wayland works manually (sadly, documentation is a bit lacking) but the folks at Wayland have been incredibly helpful in this regard...they always took the time to answer my silly questions and have been very helpful in making this all happen. I look forward to working with them some more !!

With regard to why we are creating our own compositor...in my opinion, the wayland demo compositor (weston) is nice, but it's just that ... a demo, and thus does not provide all the features that we need or want to port the actually E17 window manager to Wayland.

Ohhh, and hi vtorri

I think I have it compiling... How do I tell elementary_test to use Wayland though? It's using X, even though I compiled the Wayland options for ecore and evas.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                      I think I have it compiling... How do I tell elementary_test to use Wayland though? It's using X, even though I compiled the Wayland options for ecore and evas.
                      export ELM_ENGINE="wayland_shm"

or

export ELM_ENGINE="wayland_egl"

Comment

Working...
                      X