No announcement yet.

Three Priorities For Open-Source Radeon Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering if there is still hope left to ever get accelerated video decoding on a AVIVO (RV530) X1600 card?

Bridgman?

Anyone?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
      +1

I wish powermanagement were better.
      +2
      IMO the biggest hurdle for a wider adoption, especially on laptops.
      Feature-wise, the drivers are usable as they are, nevermind the performance delta with fglrx in 3D applications, that can come later.
      You'd expect people who are serious about 3D performance to be able to install a driver. Otherwise, in my opinion: GTFO.

P.S.: I've just read about LG having signed a deal with MS for the "privilege" of using Android, so I'm in a bad mood.

Comment

There is always hope, but...

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
        I'm wondering if there is still hope left to ever get accelerated video decoding on a AVIVO (RV530) X1600 card?
        The current shader-based video acceleration is targeted for R600+ GPUs. To quote Christian K?nig:

For the whole R3xx - R5xx series we had only very limited success, and that only with some of the later R5xx chipsets.
        I'm guessing that means X1950 cards. Apparently, it is (theoretically) possible to get the shaders working on other R300-R500 GPUs, except that no-one has any time to do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          r5xx and previous asics used the 3D engine for video decode, so in theory, one could fix any remaining issues with gallium pipe video on r300g and use it on older asics. It's just a matter of time and resources.

Comment

Power consumption is the main driver for me. Will ZCP be in the SI ddx initially?

Comment

I agree with what has been said, power management is the #1 reason I am stuck with Catalyst.

Comment

I wish they'd make power management a bigger priority.
                I wish they'd just put all the power management directly into the card firmware, and then expose just two function calls: Query the available power states, set the current power state. Point. Or have a function call which sets the power envelope the card is not allowed to exceed at the moment. I will never understand why they leave all the power management to the driver, in the end there are just three choices: "Powersave", "Performance" and "Do whatever you want". And the card itself can handle the "Do whatever you want" case just as well as the driver, if not better.

Comment

Since I'm probably going to skip the Southern Islands ASIC generation entirely (I have a HD5970), and since I couldn't give two shits about video acceleration or OpenCL, my three priorities would be: 3D performance, 3D stability, and more 3D API support. Glad we're on the same page, AMD.

HDMI Audio, I might have a use for, though, so at least ONE thing mentioned on the list might slightly help me if successful.

Comment

uvd

Another guy here looking forward to full open source UVD support.

Comment

Originally posted by wumpyr View Post
                      Power consumption is the main driver for me. Will ZCP be in the SI ddx initially?
                      Bridgman, can you comment on this? Zero core indeed would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X