Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MeeGo-Successor Tizen Is Not On Wayland Yet

Phoronix: MeeGo-Successor Tizen Is Not On Wayland Yet

One of the first areas I looked at when the initial Tizen source-code and SDK were released this week was whether the Wayland Display Server is yet playing any role in this HTML5-focused Linux distribution being led by Intel, Samsung, and other industry leaders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland and Tizen

Carsten Haitzler (a.ka. the Rasterman), who has been working on Enlightenment for quite long and who has also been a Samsung employee for a while now, commented on Wayland and Tizen on Tizen's general mailing list back in December.

https://lists.tizen.org/pipermail/ge...er/000186.html

wayland as such is still far from a usable replacement to x (+wm + compositor).
    it needs a lot of work, so we're moving slowly and carefully. but we're moving.
    as such in principle efl is very well geared to wayland as it already has an
    abstracted input layer and it's output layers totally match wayland (shm
    segment or opengl es/egl - we already are there and done with our outputs and
    totally don't rely on things like x fonts and x 2d rendering etc. - we just
    need to put in the wayland glue and add some features to support waylands
    client-side decorations "world view". we'll actually make a wayland compositor
    too in the end that will actually be enlightenment - so it'll be a fully
    functioning desktop as u have in x with all the bells and whistles, menus,
    launchers, virtual desktops, wallpapers, etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by jtts; 11 January 2012, 01:29 PM. Reason: Fixing typos

Comment

About the EFL using wayland, a lot of work has been done by (only) Christopher Michael, in the Evas, Ecore and Elementary sides. I have myself not yet tried it, but it's improving quickly.

Comment

Working...
      X