Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu Go LTS With 12.04

Phoronix: Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu Go LTS With 12.04

The Ubuntu Technical Board has approved the proposals that now qualify the Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu derivatives of Ubuntu to be Long-Term Support (LTS) certified for 12.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Xubuntu LTS is easy. The Xfce project does releases only every two years, not even bugfix releases in between. So the Xubuntu only has to package Xfce once and then never touch it again.

Comment

Qt 5.0 not eminent

Qt 5.0 is just now going under a feature freeze. When (k)ubuntu 12.04 comes out you'll be lucky to see Qt 5.0 in alpha. I think an LTS ought to wait another year till Qt 5.0 and Wayland are both out.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
        Qt 5.0 is just now going under a feature freeze. When (k)ubuntu 12.04 comes out you'll be lucky to see Qt 5.0 in alpha. I think an LTS ought to wait another year till Qt 5.0 and Wayland are both out.
        you misunderstand the concept. a release intended for such audience is supposed to happen BEFORE any major changes (such as QT5), so they will have enough time for migration or whatever.

Comment

I agree with Lopho here... They should put out an LTS *BEFORE* QT5 is released so that people who want to wait out any painful transition period can. QT4/KDE4 was fairly painful in the beginning (4.0,4.1). A lot of people would rather avoid having to deal with that, and would rather just pick up QT5 after it's been thoroughly tested/debugged. This means waiting until a few point releases have come out.

On my personal systems, I have no problem going with the latest and greatest (Currently running GS on 11.10 on my desktop/laptop and Mythbuntu 11.10 on the HTPC), but on my work machine, I'm a lot more careful about what versions of software I upgrade to. My boss probably wouldn't like it if my upgrading to the latest release of something prevented me from working for a couple days while I backup/reinstall/downgrade.

Comment

I dunno i'm sceptical about Kubuntu. The current releases installer has a bug that causes the partitioner to crash when faced with complicated layouts. This type of bug in a stable release tells me they probably don't have the manpower to test the distro properly. Maybe for LTS releases they'll get more help though

Comment

Working...
            X