Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Has Yet To Clarify Solaris 11 Kernel Source

Phoronix: Oracle Has Yet To Clarify Solaris 11 Kernel Source

It was one month ago that Phoronix was the first to note the Solaris 11 kernel source-code was leaked onto the Internet via Torrent sites. One month later, Oracle still hasn't officially commented on the situation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With Oracle continuing to push harder on Oracle Enterprise Linux (their Red Hat Enterprise Linux based distribution), hopefully Solaris 11 will be the last and finally mark the end of the SunOS days.
    Why are you wishing for the end of Solaris?

Comment

Can any one prove this?

I'm not convinced this leak is a leak, really. Couple of ideas come to mind.

1. Complete fake
      2. intentional publicity
      3. probing
      4. all of the above

Comment

Maybe tracing all ip's who download it and offering them jobs? After all, who wants to read Solaris code

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          Why are you wishing for the end of Solaris?
          This is funny. How can Solaris be considered bad, when everybody wants Solaris tech? ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, Zones, etc - all of them are copied in Linux. If Solaris is so bad as Linux guys says, why do everybody drool over Solaris tech? I dont get it? Who leads the OS development today? Which OS is most innovative today? Solaris. I dont see any OS wanting to port or copy Linux tech? There is no tech in Linux that any other OS wants. What would that be? Can anyone name Linux tech that every other OS drools over? No one?

But Solaris leads the way, and without Solaris, there would be no BTRFS, Systemtap, OpenvSwitch, Linux Containers, etc - because Linux guys would not have the imagination to think them up. I dont get it. Sure, if Solaris was bad and had no new innovations, it would not matter if it died. But now, everybody is looking at Solaris to see how it is to be done. Without Solaris, no cool tech in Linux. Heck, the entire Linux is a copy of Unix. Everything is a copy, and a bad copy. Scales bad, unstable, badly coded, etc. If Unix died, there would be nothing to copy. And Linux devs would be forced to innovate themselves. And looking at history, nothing in Linux has been worthwile to copy. Is there any Linux tech that is worthwile to copy?

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
            This is funny. How can Solaris be considered bad, when everybody wants Solaris tech? ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, Zones, etc - all of them are copied in Linux. If Solaris is so bad as Linux guys says, why do everybody drool over Solaris tech? I dont get it? Who leads the OS development today? Which OS is most innovative today? Solaris. I dont see any OS wanting to port or copy Linux tech? There is no tech in Linux that any other OS wants. What would that be? Can anyone name Linux tech that every other OS drools over? No one?

But Solaris leads the way, and without Solaris, there would be no BTRFS, Systemtap, OpenvSwitch, Linux Containers, etc - because Linux guys would not have the imagination to think them up. I dont get it. Sure, if Solaris was bad and had no new innovations, it would not matter if it died. But now, everybody is looking at Solaris to see how it is to be done. Without Solaris, no cool tech in Linux. Heck, the entire Linux is a copy of Unix. Everything is a copy, and a bad copy. Scales bad, unstable, badly coded, etc. If Unix died, there would be nothing to copy. And Linux devs would be forced to innovate themselves. And looking at history, nothing in Linux has been worthwile to copy. Is there any Linux tech that is worthwile to copy?
            Yup, now people just have to ACTUALLY USE those features... As for innovation, well, lets see Solaris run its graphics with KMS... Seriously, these little trinkets don't help the bottom line when your graphics card doesn't even work. Also, how about that new Gnome tech or KDE? Yeah right. Solaris is so outdated and crusty we might as well just throw it out with the trash. OpenSolaris was its one chance to at least get modernized, and guess what, Oracle KILLED it.

Comment

I am talking about innovations. No one would hardly call KDE or Gnome an Innovation. I mean, most Enterprise Unix servers dont even use graphics. For instance, DTrace is a true innovation, nothing like it existed before. Everyone is copying or porting it. Graphics desktops? It has existed for a long time. Solaris had CDE for decades and does still suffice. DTrace is a must and new.

Comment

I am talking about innovations. No one would hardly call KDE or Gnome an Innovation. I mean, most Enterprise Unix servers dont even use graphics. For instance, DTrace is a true innovation, nothing like it existed before. Everyone is copying or porting it. Graphics desktops? It has existed for a long time. Solaris had CDE for decades and does still suffice. DTrace is a must and new.
                The troll is back, but you have proven last time your more stupid than you look, so it will be easy to kick the trolls ass. KDE is innovative in many terms and it has unique features that others can only dream about. DTrace is a copy of tools that existed on Linux and other systems before - it's just a copy, because slowlaris guys always copy others except when they make crappy tools just for marketing purposes that make slowlaris bloated.. CDE was a copy of different DE and CDE is pure crap compared to Linux desktop environments. Linux has innovations like RCU, it has transcendent memory and many more features slowlaris can only dream about. It's not a secret Oracle is abandoning slowlaris and focuses on Linux. It's logical move since slowlaris was acknowledged a dead and legacy operating system. It's also terribly bloated which was said by its dev. It's a living dead. I said "living", because it's dead with new clothes.
                Last edited by kraftman; 16 April 2012, 03:46 AM.

Comment

But now, everybody is looking at Solaris to see how it is to be done. Without Solaris, no cool tech in Linux. Heck, the entire Linux is a copy of Unix. Everything is a copy, and a bad copy. Scales bad, unstable, badly coded, etc. If Unix died, there would be nothing to copy. And Linux devs would be forced to innovate themselves. And looking at history, nothing in Linux has been worthwile to copy. Is there any Linux tech that is worthwile to copy?
                  Nobody was ever looking at slowlaris, because it's an example of brokenness and bloathness. Everybody avoids slowlaris mistakes and Linux devs does the same. Slowlaris is just a copy cat of other unixes, but with bloatness added as a bonus - for marketing purposes. Linux is an operating system that's leading the way now. Thankfully such innovations like RCU are patented, so copycats from slowlaris cannot copy this wonderful, innovative and cool technology. What's left for slowlaris is just zfs, but even Oracle decided to use btrfs which isn't market stable by Linux standards. While slowlaris company decided to use it it seems they consider btrfs as stable as zfs or they prefer to run Linux with unstable btrfs rather than slow slowlaris with stable zfs. Nothing new, because they're going to kill slowlaris (which is by many considered dead already) and focus on Linux. That's also why their porting DTrace to Linux which is superior.

Comment

Interesting claims. Can you prove your claims? Do you have links? I have links, for instance, when the Systemtap team confesses they copied from DTrace. Do you have links that prove DTrace copied from Linux?

Regarding DTrace (do you want to see links that prove this?)
                    -FreeBSD has ported DTrace
                    -Mac OS X has ported DTrace
                    -QNX has ported DTrace
                    -VMware has copied DTrace, and call it vProbes
                    -IBM AIX has copied DTrace and call it ProbeVue
                    -Linux has copied DTrace and call it Systemtap

Regarding RCU, I have never heard about it. Everybody (including the Linux camp) has heard about DTrace and ZFS because they are new and innovative. But RCU? What is that? If it is innovative and cool, everybody should have talked about it? Can you explain what RCU is? Can you make a list of OSes, that have ported or copied RCU?
                    Last edited by kebabbert; 17 April 2012, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X