Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Doubtful. It's got a Linux version, if I'm not mistaken- and it's mentioned specifically in the Linux server documentation. I'd thought I'd seen some mention that Havok was a possible for things- apparently that's in error on my part. Well, one can't blame me too much for ill recollections on things...the last couple of years haven't been QUITE nice to me, courtesy of my recently made-so ex-wife. Anyhow... I'm still scratching my head on what is the cause of the holdup.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
    I'm starting to wonder whether UT3 really used Havok. Gamespy is a sure thing though. There's the press release on that.

EDIT:
    Hmm... judging that Epic went 'all-in' on Ageia's product. I am very doubtful that they'd use Havok for UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
      I'm starting to wonder whether UT3 really used Havok. Gamespy is a sure thing though. There's the press release on that.

EDIT:
      Hmm... judging that Epic went 'all-in' on Ageia's product. I am very doubtful that they'd use Havok for UT3.
      Go to post 58

Comment

It has been close to 3 months now - with -zero- solid information and/or progress report.
        Whatever is blocking the Linux build will most likely remain broken.

Luckily for me, I decided not to (pre-)order UT3 until the Linux until the Linux port is out...

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Now that Nvidia cards will support PhysX after Nvidia buying Ageia, I wonder if it will turn out that the PhysX stuff really was causing the delays and we might see that get sorted out.

Comment

If an when we see a port of this game to Linux, it may be already too late. The buzzword is on Rage and what not. I certainly hope the game will be released before H2 2008, there are no games of this magnitude (that we know of) coming to Linux any time soon, and the next big thing thus far is Rage and the current big thing is QuakeWars... Well, there's going to be Penumbra: Black Plague also coming out and maybe others, but they're not as high profile as Unreal Freaking Tournament 3!

Comment

Rumours say that M$ wants to aquire Epic Games in the very near (possibly a matter of days) future... if that is the case, you know what will (not) happen.

Comment

You know, there were rumors about Id not supporting Linux with Rage. That panned out to be FLATLY untrue. Those came from a game rag that wanted the click volume traffic from all of the Linux crowd to see for themselves. As it stands, I've never really heard of Gamepro until I dug for where the rumor came from. It's some site that IDG publishes- but they don't seem to be of the same quality of content as most of the other stuff; almost a simple games blog kind of tossed out by IDG to try to garner ad revenue out of. I'm not going to say that they're not telling the truth- but I've got to question that a nobody games blog, no matter who's bankrolling the "editors" on it, would actually BE privy to that sort of info in the first place. Furthermore...I'll observe that if they axe the port now that Epic made it VERY clear there was to be one for some time running right now, that it'd look really, really bad that they didn't let Epic release that one last Linux supporting title before becoming an all Windows only studio. IF it really happens the way that GamePro claims it will.

[EDIT]

Considering that the studio that makes their crown jewels piece for the X-Box and X-Box 360 was SPUN OFF from Microsoft less than 6 months ago, I find it difficult to believe completely anyone saying that Microsoft would be plunking 1 Billion onto Epic to buy them out. It's a much harder sell to make considering the current state of affairs with Bungie and Microsoft Studios/Microsoft right now. Why would you pour a Billion into another studio like that when you had a comparable one in your stable that you just spun off as it's own entity?
                Last edited by Svartalf; 18 February 2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  I find it difficult to believe completely anyone saying that Microsoft would be plunking 1 Billion onto Epic to buy them out. It's a much harder sell to make considering the current state of affairs with Bungie and Microsoft Studios/Microsoft right now. Why would you pour a Billion into another studio like that when you had a comparable one in your stable that you just spun off as it's own entity?
                  ... Let alone the fact that MS is throwing everything it has on trying to take over Yahoo.

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    ... Let alone the fact that MS is throwing everything it has on trying to take over Yahoo.

- Gilboa
                    Heh... I'd not even got to that one because my points made it an almost impossibility in and of itself.

Investors would be pissed that they spun off Bungie that makes their flagship game on the X-Box series only to buy Epic. Not likely to happen in and of itself. And the bid for Yahoo! makes it nigh impossible at this point. There's a reason they handed out a huge dividend recently- it's to stave off investor issues with that large "warchest" of cash they had. The same can be said of most of their moves they make at this point- it's to shore up their situation with the sharesellers (Never call 'em shareholders. Unless they give out regular dividends like the one they did recently, they're worrying about share price, which is shareseller value, not shareholder value...).

Rumors. You need to critically evaluate stuff like this, even if it's coming from an almost unimpeachable source.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                      It has been close to 3 months now - with -zero- solid information and/or progress report.
                      Whatever is blocking the Linux build will most likely remain broken.

Luckily for me, I decided not to (pre-)order UT3 until the Linux until the Linux port is out...

- Gilboa
                      Heh... Someone needs to ping Ryan and see if he's got anything at all to report...throw us a bone as it were.

Comment

Working...
                      X