Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other day chatting with a friend on-line he suggested "What if the issue of UT3 has more to do with software parts, not related to the underlying technology?" I was like "What the heck do you mean?" and he dropped the bomb: "What if what's blocking the release of UT3 are shared assets with GoW? What if they share textures and/or models (or animations, sounds, etc)? That would warrant Microsoft not allowing release of the game on not supported (by them) platforms, i.e Linux"... That truly got me thinking, and looking back at what Ryan said was the problem, well... I'd certainly laugh if this was the case... For one Epic developed GoW and there's no reason why they wouldn't recycle some of the art that went into it for UT3... This poses a problem, as the game has already been shipped for Windows (i.e the offending parts are already "out there") and the Linux binaries would use them, unless removed by patches or some such... Most likely this friend of mine has a very active imagination, but I can't deny that it would be laughable if this was indeed the case.

Comment

Well the only sticking point in that theory would be that you're talking about assets instead of middleware. And Ryan indicated it was middleware holding things up, not assets- though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a part of the holdup either.

Comment

Yes, I know that Ryan said some middleware, but up until now no one has a clue as to what "middleware" might that be... Especially one that's blocking only the Linux port (AFAIK, the MacOS port is not affected, which was actually what triggered my friend's train of thought about something common to GoW and UT3)

Comment

Aww... I missed such a juicy thread here. I apologize and I am still not too privy over the fuss on UT3 delay. My two cents, delayed as they are...

Delays are really normal and if it is destined to come out, it'll eventually. Whether it is relevant upon release is another discussion altogether. Still though, if it ever comes, cheers for a job well done. Another new game release on Linux doesn't hurt at all.

Comment

Actually there is one problem with this delay in particular: Epic's reputation. This delay is eroding Epic's reputation of Linux support, and even though we know it is not their fault, this still hurts them as there are a lot of users that

1) Do not know the reason for the delay, and

2) Do not actually care who's fault it is, they only see Epic is delaying it.

Hopefully Ep?c will be able to sort things out, or have something to say to the many gamers waiting the game to hit the Net so they can hit the shelves.

Comment

Actually, in my opinion, I don't think it hurts Epic. These things happen even in other game platforms. I for one, personally am not looking down at Epic because they delayed it. I don't even need to know the reason. As long as it doesn't get delayed like Duke Nukem Forever, I'm okay. If it's 10 years and still delayed, then Houston, we have a problem.

Comment

Heh... Duke Nukem Forever, is an apt name, if you think about it. I'm curious if they're FINALLY happy with the silly thing over there at 3D Realms or not- rumor has it that they might be after the thing literally taking FOREVER. >:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Heh... Duke Nukem Forever, is an apt name, if you think about it. I'm curious if they're FINALLY happy with the silly thing over there at 3D Realms or not- rumor has it that they might be after the thing literally taking FOREVER. >:-)
                  Exactly what I was thinking. Also what makes Duke Nukem Forever an apt title is that if you check the initials, DNF, also stands for 'Did Not Finish'.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                    Exactly what I was thinking. Also what makes Duke Nukem Forever an apt title is that if you check the initials, DNF, also stands for 'Did Not Finish'.
                    No kidding. I think, however, that they might actually finish it (finally...) here in the near future- but I'm not holding my breath. Blue's my favorite color- just not on my skin...

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      Yes, I know that Ryan said some middleware, but up until now no one has a clue as to what "middleware" might that be... Especially one that's blocking only the Linux port (AFAIK, the MacOS port is not affected, which was actually what triggered my friend's train of thought about something common to GoW and UT3)
                      Heh... I clean forgot to address your reply- sorry.

Someone in the industry would refer to the models, music, sounds, and textures as "assets"- "middleware" is the things like the network gameplay library, the sound library, the physics library.

And most everyone in this space use those terms specifically without intermixing them- I would expect Ryan to be that specific as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X