Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etymxris View Post
    Epic knows how many gamers are using the Linux version because when you go online for the server list it tells Epic which OS you're using. That's how they knew that there were more Linux users for ut2004 than Mac OSX.
    Yep. There's a reason why they've been at doing a Linux version of at least Unreal Tournament for some time now- that's part of it.

Comment

so that means theres actually no gain in buying a "linux box" in terms of showing epic what OS you are actually using.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
        so that means theres actually no gain in buying a "linux box" in terms of showing epic what OS you are actually using.
        A. Not all games are on-line-only such as UT3. (Doom3 and Q4 are good examples)
        B. By buying from a Linux retailer (instead of your local 7/11) you help them stay afloat which, in the long run, will help finance more 3'rd party ports such as X2/X3/etc.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by etymxris View Post
          Epic knows how many gamers are using the Linux version because when you go online for the server list it tells Epic which OS you're using. That's how they knew that there were more Linux users for ut2004 than Mac OSX.
          Oh man, they should release the results to that. And tell companies that well, Linux is more popular than Mac OSX in gaming. But as luck would have it, I doubt they will. All it takes is just one piece of solid proof that Linux is more popular than Mac OSX in gaming, and this is just it.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            Oh man, they should release the results to that. And tell companies that well, Linux is more popular than Mac OSX in gaming. But as luck would have it, I doubt they will. All it takes is just one piece of solid proof that Linux is more popular than Mac OSX in gaming, and this is just it.
            While it's an interesting tidbit, I don't know if any large majority is willing to believe the results.

Epic does.

Id does.

A few other studios do.

In the large, though, they all listen to the numbers being spouted by IDC, etc. from Microsoft about "installed numbers" and going off of them. I doubt it has changed all that much in the last 3-4 years- and that's what it was like, facing these people out at GDC the one time I went a few years back.

While I had some real numbers myself, only people like RWS (Yes... And they're actually cool in person- they're just equal opportunity offenders...given the opportunity, they will offend everyone equally with as much gusto as they can...), and a few other studios like 'em were willing to give me the time of day. The middleware vendors were as bad or worse, throwing IDC-like numbers at me, which were flatly garbage.

Comment

It has a been a month since the last post, with zero (good) news.
              ... Unless there are some major technical difficulties, it is begining to look like a mid 2008 release to me. (If any)

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I've also been watching this space, but nothing has been announced for quite some time. I'm holding off buying indefinitely until the native linux client is released. I hope Epic the gaming visionaries will break free of the bonds that currently bind them and never let others hold to ransom their works again...

Comment

Darn, after playing the PS3 version of the game (with mouse and keyboard, albeit the controls being a bit sluggish, they're much better than the controller...), I'm eager to have it on my Linux PC. It is actually very interesting, and contrary to what I thought, the Caompaign is not too bad (I find the "story" to be what Unreal II should have been in the first place!)... I really hope Epic will be able to get these legal issues solved so the game finally sees the light!

Comment

Anyone know how progress is going on UT3 for Linux? All has been quiet. Are we just going to be surprised one day with a release, or is there more serious problems? I hope it comes out soon.

Comment

I guess someone ought to see if Ryan can disclose the state of affairs or not. I know that they wanted it out and that there was something silly licensing-wise that stopped it at the 11th hour.

This shouldn't be viewed as a surprise. I'm finding out that 11th hour issues of varying kinds that can stall a title is actually more common than one would think in the Game Industry and that if it's out on time it's either one of the rare, mostly non-problematic titles, or at least a few developers went into crunch hell to get it out on time.

I don't know if Ryan would be in a position to disclose much, but someone ought to ask him all the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X