Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
    And I thought I was negative haha
    Heh... I'm not venturing a guess other than "uncertain" on this one. It all depends on what all needed to be done to fix the licensing issue with the Linux version.

Could be just a little longer, and it could be Junish...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Hopefully, within the next handful of titles, we should be viewed for some titles in much the same way as Ryan and Timothee do and get access like they do from Epic and Id respectively.
      Interesting... Any details?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

its really a shame if they dont get the game out quickly for linux. Alot of linux users might loose patience, myself including. i dont want to play the game singleplayer in a year when nobody really plays it alot anymore.

also, i would probably have picked a few copies up as christmas presents, but im certainly not gonna do that without a linux binary available for download.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Interesting... Any details?
          Heh... Nice try, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            its really a shame if they dont get the game out quickly for linux. Alot of linux users might loose patience, myself including. i dont want to play the game singleplayer in a year when nobody really plays it alot anymore.
            It is this selfsame attitude that caused Q3:A to NOT sell but about 500 total Linux units. People couldn't wait, so they bought the Windows SKU and "patched" it with the Linux binary install set. You DO realize that this set Linux gaming back about 5-10 years for just that alone, don't you?

Do what you want (just like I told you in the other thread...) but don't be surprised if it has deleterious results much like Q3:A's debacle brought us.

Comment

i think that IP hell is going to make a big delay for the game.

assuming the linux port gets released at all (yes, i am an eternal pessimist).
              Last edited by yoshi314; 07 December 2007, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                It is this selfsame attitude that caused Q3:A to NOT sell but about 500 total Linux units. People couldn't wait, so they bought the Windows SKU and "patched" it with the Linux binary install set. You DO realize that this set Linux gaming back about 5-10 years for just that alone, don't you?

Do what you want (just like I told you in the other thread...) but don't be surprised if it has deleterious results much like Q3:A's debacle brought us.
                i think you misunderstand, i didnt mean i would loose patience and buy the winblows version, but loose patience all together, and just not get the game at all.

if i have to wait untill the game is essentially "old" to be able to play it, well, that takes off a really big chunk of the value, and time is ticking.. if the client is not in my hands within 1-2 months, im just not sure im gonna go out and buy the box.

Comment

i think you misunderstand, i didnt mean i would loose patience and buy the winblows version, but loose patience all together, and just not get the game at all.

if i have to wait untill the game is essentially "old" to be able to play it, well, that takes off a really big chunk of the value, and time is ticking.. if the client is not in my hands within 1-2 months, im just not sure im gonna go out and buy the box.
                  That's your choice. Guess we won't be seeing you out there in the arenas- I know if it's less than 6 months, it's worth the wait for me... The biggest problem with that short of a timeline is that it's the same problem I described with Q3:A. If you don't buy it, you're definitely voting with your dollars, as is your right- but are you sending the right message with your vote that way, hm?

Comment

well seeing as though they are only having a single box, without linux version on, i dont see how even buying it sends the message that i buy it for the linux support.. and its not like they sell it online with a checkbox "i buy it because of its linux support" either.

and well, sure, its nice that they release a linux port, but by delaying it endlessly and making us second class citizens is not the way to get support, we pay the exact same amount as winblows customers, and so we should recieve the same kind of service.

and lets not forget, if they had actually pulled their fingers out of a certain place, and simply released the linux client as was expected, and planned, there would be sitting an ut2k7 box on my desk right now

Comment

and lets not forget, if they had actually pulled their fingers out of a certain place, and simply released the linux client as was expected, and planned, there would be sitting an ut2k7 box on my desk right now
                      Well there IS that.

However, you should note that UT2k7 (Actually known as Unreal Tournament 3...) is just a nicety- they didn't have to do anything other than contract out Ryan Gordon's services to make the Unreal Tech 3 engine work on Linux (Which is what they're doing there, in reality- but to show that it DOES work that way, they're giving us a game to play with it... Keep that one in mind...). They didn't have to let us have a version of the client to play with, you know.

This has nothing to do with their thumbs up their butts as you put it (more nicely than I, I'll admit...), but more to do with an 11th hour licensing snag- something I'm very familiar with. You'd be hearing a bit more about some eval boards with very high performance 3D accelerometers from Analog Devices than you all have heard about. Right now, I'm trying to make the demo/sample app for them for Linux and MacOS under subcontract- but I missed a detail on a library I used so there's been a little delay introduced there on my part for the mixup. I'm dead certain that this is the story here. I know Ryan well enough to know when he says it's a really goofy licensing problem with middleware that popped up at the last moment, he MEANS it.

If there's a licensing problem, you don't want Epic in a mess much like Actiontec and Verizon happen to be in for breaching the GPL licensing on BusyBox right now, do you? That would be what would have happened had they shipped "as promised".
                      Last edited by Svartalf; 07 December 2007, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X