Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are the game vendors, i am the customer, the details of how their code works is nothing of my business, neither is their licensing of third party code.

All i need to know is if i can buy the game and use it. Right now, that is a definate no, and if that doesent change soon, i will simply loose interrest, exactly as if amd had had some kind of middleware issue preventing peopel from running linux on amd64's, well then i simply wouldnt be buying an amd64 now, as the intel cpu's are superior.

i dont really care WHY the client is not within my reach, it simply isnt, and if i because of their screwup(whomever is responsible) loose interrest, they cant really blame that on linux users not wanting to buy stuff..

im sure they themselves wouldnt be so interrested in buying access to physx stuff if licensing issues, for WHATEVER reason, prevented ageia to sell it to them, untill it was horribly outdated.

its simply the reality of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
      im sure they themselves wouldnt be so interrested in buying access to physx stuff if licensing issues, for WHATEVER reason, prevented ageia to sell it to them, untill it was horribly outdated.
      1) Don't be too quick to presume it's PhysX. There IS an API library that IS licensable to Linux apps for no extra charges.

2) It could just as easily be GameSpy.

3) The reality is that the studios go with what is available out there and everyone else is using. In this case, things like Bink is one of the more prevalent bugaboos that gets used and is obnoxious on things like licensing. It's easy to use, it's easy to license for ONE title (A Linux version constitutes another title per the licensing RAD uses...)

4) I'm not telling you to not buy it. I'm telling you that not buying it after only waiting a month like you're portending to do may have negative consequences in the long run picture of things and I'm suggesting a slightly longer wait time. I doubt you will need it, but you need to tone down the attitude a slight bit.

5) You're talking with someone IN the industry in question and while I'm on your side, the tone you're adopting right now will NOT be received well. You're a minority of a minority of the entire potential customer base. The one unhappy customer telling 10 only really works when there's enough traction for the one to make it count. They'll just tell you, "don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out..."

Comment

Well heres my two cents, I think this whole thing was blown completely out of proportion for starters. I was the one who mentioned it possibly being PhysX, now I wasn't expecting a article popping up saying that and then everyone thinking that. Let me just state one thing, its in no means confirmed (and likely isn't the problem), and yes, it could very well be Gamespy another evil that well, we won't get into today.

We just need to sit tight and wait for it to be done when its done. I know some people mentioned that they want to play it now or else the game won't be as popular in a year from now. Well, I can tell you this, there will be plenty of people playing it a year from now. Especially since all the community content will be rolling in the truckloads by then. This game isn't going to be dying off anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
          Well heres my two cents, I think this whole thing was blown completely out of proportion for starters. I was the one who mentioned it possibly being PhysX, now I wasn't expecting a article popping up saying that and then everyone thinking that. Let me just state one thing, its in no means confirmed (and likely isn't the problem), and yes, it could very well be Gamespy another evil that well, we won't get into today.
          Heh... You're like me. This whole thing's kind of silly in the first place. Much like the Id "not doing a Linux version of 'Rage'", primarily because they didn't specifically call out that they were doing it.

Everything I've said has been trying to point out this very thing. <*sigh*> Sadly, people want to keep believeing what they want to.

Comment

i didnt say it was physx, i used it as an example of ut3 compared to me, and physx compared to them.

Comment

Well, Im kinda opmimistic about it being released soon, maybe in a month or two. At least there's interest in getting a linux client out of the door from epic. I mean, linux users are still waiting for croteam to release a final serious sam 2 linux client, one that's not in beta stage.

Comment

Given the fact the UT2K4 modification are still be played, UT3 will be very much alive - 6 months from now.

One though though - do -not- buy the Windows version now and. Wait for the Linux version and buy it from a Linux shop. (Such as tuxgames) *

- Gilboa
                * Due to shipment fees, the Linux version is actually more expensive - but never-the-less, there's power in numbers... and we need numbers.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

so there will actually be a different boxed version for linux?

Comment

Epic knows how many gamers are using the Linux version because when you go online for the server list it tells Epic which OS you're using. That's how they knew that there were more Linux users for ut2004 than Mac OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                      so there will actually be a different boxed version for linux?
                      That would depend on whether or not a publisher actually got the rights to publish an official version or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X