Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pseus View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I don't see how that could have held the release of the Linux client. I mean, Steam only officially supports Windows, why would Epic need to make changes to its Linux client?

Dont forget that one of the qualifications Valve was looking for in a linux senior software engineer was...

" Develop an understanding of Valve's Internet business and player community and contribute creative web-focused design solutions to improve the experience of using Valve's products"

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I don't see how that could have held the release of the Linux client. I mean, Steam only officially supports Windows, why would Epic need to make changes to its Linux client?
      If they're distributing Steam only, it's middleware and that would hold it up just as readily as a screwy situation with OpenAL, PhysX, etc.

I would hesitate to say that this is the holdup, though, as Ryan wouldn't need to rework anything in either client or server, and Ryan was pretty specific that it was going to take a small amount of time for the server and a larger one because there was some re-work needed because of a legal problem with a piece of middleware- and that it was something you would have a difficult time believing if he was allowed to tell us why things were held up.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Dont forget that one of the qualifications Valve was looking for in a linux senior software engineer was...

" Develop an understanding of Valve's Internet business and player community and contribute creative web-focused design solutions to improve the experience of using Valve's products"
        They actually wanted TWO of them for that role. One on the engine side of things, one on the server/Steam side of things.

Whether or not the plans they had came to fruition or not, remains to be seen. Hopefully, it's good news for us shortly.

Comment

Think about it though, Steam was looking for linux devs, what better way of introducing steam for linux then to debut probably the most anticipated linux game this year with it? It just maybe that UT3 for linux becomes a steam exclusive.
          Ah, that sounds reasonable, though a bit on the optimistic side of things Who knows? Maybe Epic does want to give us a big surprise! (I wouldn't bet on that though)

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            If they're distributing Steam only, it's middleware and that would hold it up just as readily as a screwy situation with OpenAL, PhysX, etc.

I would hesitate to say that this is the holdup, though, as Ryan wouldn't need to rework anything in either client or server, and Ryan was pretty specific that it was going to take a small amount of time for the server and a larger one because there was some re-work needed because of a legal problem with a piece of middleware- and that it was something you would have a difficult time believing if he was allowed to tell us why things were held up.

It certainly fit with Ryan's "You wouldn't believe me..." comment.

Comment

Indeed, which gives it some traction. I can see you needing to authenticate with Steam for proof of purchase, etc. which would require the client to be reworked slightly. However, it doesn't explain the need to delay the server by a bit. Moreover, I think it was a "stupid" you wouldn't believe me, not an amazing one. This would be more in the amazing category, I think...

Heh... It's such fun trying to second guess the people doing the work. It's nothing like what one'd think it was in many cases...

Comment

That, it does. I mean, I've been thinking about this since reading your post. Certainly if Ryan walked up to me and said "heh, the Linux client for UT3 was delayed because we needed to rework some things for it to work with... Steam" I'd probably laugh my ass off, then look at him and yell "Ryan would never speak such nonsense, where's Ryan and what have you done to him?"

Comment

That, it does. I mean, I've been thinking about this since reading your post. Certainly if Ryan walked up to me and said "heh, the Linux client for UT3 was delayed because we needed to rework some things for it to work with... Steam" I'd probably laugh my ass off, then look at him and yell "Ryan would never speak such nonsense, where's Ryan and what have you done to him?"
                  Indeed. I'd find this whole delay, while frustrating, a wholly GOOD thing if that is what it is. I'm not going to say that I believe that this is it (I've stated my reasons I doubt that...) but I'm not discounting it completely. It WOULD be the "you wouldn't believe me if I told you..." thing we're discussing.

Comment

• I am pretty confident that UT3 is simply not coming to Linux and I very much doubt that we will ever see Steam in Linux either. I know many of you were looking forward to playing UT3 in Linux as was I but considering it's been out for around 5 months now and Epic Games refuses to even talk about the Linux plans, it is a safe bet they just don't care about it.

I to have seen the Valve Linux development job listing but even that does nothing to convince me. I'm not expecting anything from anyone anymore. I will say that it does indeed suck that the Mac is starting to get a ton of big games and Linux is not but that's the brakes. Maybe sometime down the road if Linux actually begins to really take off, maybe then some developers will see some potential in developing for the platform. For the mean time we will just have to continue playing UT2004 for our fragging purposes.

Comment

• it's been out for around 5 months now and Epic Games refuses to even talk about the Linux plans, it is a safe bet they just don't care about it.
                      I don't think it's safe to say so. Although it seems Epic doesn't have as much faith in PC gaming as they could or used to, I'm pretty confident that UT3 will have a linux client one way or another.

Now whether steam will be out on linux, I think yes. It's just a matter of time as it seems it would be the next logical step to have Steam on Mac and Linux. I wouldn't expect it on Solaris though. At least, not for the next few years.

I think it would be very smart for Valve to have a linux steam client for several reasons:

-Linux has been getting more and more attention in the last year. It's getting quite hot I should say.

-The market isn't quite there yet, but Valve has the weight required to create it and grab pretty much alll the market share. Lets say Ubuntu had a synaptic package for steam or even came pre-loaded with it, it would render the Linux gaming argument quite weak and would definitely synergize with expanding Linux PC desktop.

-ID software has linux ports for most their games, therefore they already have a product to offer.

IMO: If there's a good time for steam to devellop a steam client, it would be last month. It would be incredibly stupid of steam not to take advantage of this opportunity. Would anyone agree?

Comment

Working...
                      X